Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First (serious) attempt at map-making (PS CS6)

Wip First (serious) attempt at map-making (PS CS6)

For my first post, I decided to share with you my attempt at making a continental map.

For it I used the Saderan tutorial, made by Tear, my map-making idol:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8086

1 - I started by making a land mass using a collage of various countries from Google Maps. After filling in the holes I coloured in the Ocean and put a Stroke on the white mask:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ajggS3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	75308

2 - After that I made an elevation layer using a duplicate colour layer with a Bevel&Emboss effect. Using a Hide All layer mask and a Cloud filter on the layer mask, It generated a wonderful effect! After a bit of altering using a soft low opacity brush to make more significant mountain ranges, I came up with something I liked.

Name:	J02CucR.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	489.7 KB 
ID:	75309

Will reply to this with further updates.
    Any criticism is appreciated!

Cont.

3 - Made mountains using a slightly different method. I filled a 0% Fill layer and applied a Pattern Overlay with a rocky texture. Then I placed a B&E effect (similar to the Elevation one used earlier) and a Hide All Layer Mask. Using a small soft brush I drew in the mountains.

Name:	7hyxKah.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	75311

4 - Made a very, very slight change to a pattern below the mountains layer, to make it blend more seamlessly into the surrounding colours. Also made the oceans using the exact same method used in the Elevation layer. Then I shaded it using a soft low opacity brush painting black on a new layer. Made it have several layers, the shelf, the regular depth and the abyssal plains.

Name:	3sUbnTK.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	598.7 KB 
ID:	75310

All I have for now...
    Last edited by Dörne; 08-13-2015 at 11:47 PM.

It's looking good.

Nice land-forms. The mountains look good as well, and I really like the highlands in the south. Off to a great start.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the feedback guys, It's greatly appreciated

5 - Added in grass/greenery. Using a fully green layer, I then applied a very subtle pattern overlay to it to give it some depth. Next I added a Hide All Layer mask and painted in the greenery using Soft Low Opacity brushes. After I had my basic shapes I used the Spatter Filter to give it some randomness and make it less artificial.

Name:	lKTA7UI.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	75316

6 - Thought about adding an image wide Pattern Overlay with Blending Mode set to Difference to give the colour some more depth. I used a small scale pattern so as to not interfere with the detail of the map.

Name:	fVByUnh.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	874.5 KB 
ID:	75317
    Last edited by Dörne; 08-14-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good call on that overlay - it really helps bring out the color. Really nice work on this so far.

Agreed. This is coming along nicely.

Nice to see my work getting good reviews Thanks again for the support!

7 - I decided to try and experiment a bit with dynamic brushes to try and pull off some forests. Added a Green Layer (slightly darker than the grass) and put in a Patter Overlay of a sandy-ish texture to try and give it some depth. I pulled off a nice looking result once I set the Layer's mode to Multiply, helping it blend into the surrounding colours. Then I made up my own brush using a bunch of random dots i drew up. Using Shape Dynamics and Spacing settings, I came up with a decent enough look that I rolled with. (Perhaps in the end of this map I'l write tutorials on every method I've used so far)

Name:	QjM3q2V.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	895.9 KB 
ID:	75318

Really nice work so far! I like the look of this a lot.

@Domino44 Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it

8 - Taking a break from the actual terrain/greens/etc. I used the Pen Tool, made the Fill a transparent colour and the stroke a dotted line. Then I just drew away. Dots were made using a low opacity hard pencil tool with the colour black.

Name:	i97oMNh.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	905.1 KB 
ID:	75321

9 - Now I made a few of the areas (in case you are wondering what this is, I'm currently adapting this map to my fantasy roleplaying adventure, thus the need for several areas) I took in consideration the town locations and the overall geography. Made a layer on top, clipping mask on the Land Mask, and I brushed in a primitive sketch of it. Then I just added some detail on the crude lines and it came out nicely (This layer is meant to be hidden, that's basically why it's got such a weird colour).

Name:	jBbLvNz.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	953.8 KB 
ID:	75322
    Last edited by Dörne; 08-14-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast