Thread: Thallosia (maybe)

Guild Novice

Wip Thallosia (maybe)

Hey all, Been a bit. So this is what I started with. Hand drawn with ink and colored pencil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150620_171957364.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	75409
    Got GIMP and started to go. Using Gidde's Tut, and various resources the guild has to offer, including critiques and compliments. This is what I have so far.

Name:	tHALLOSIA DRAFT 4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	75410
    I got as far as finishing the mountains using just my mouse. Last month I treated myself to a Wacom Intuos tablet and just finished the rivers using that.
    I know I have a long way to go, but am open to criticism and suggestions.
    I use the white background just for visibility, all the layers are transparent otherwise. I am a little lost still as far as understanding exactly what channels mean, as well as layer masks, and that sort of thing. I have played a little with some of the filters, blurs etc.. I left them off in the image just for rawness' sake. I also have had bad luck with Downloading scripts and pallets.

So... Whaddaya think?

Well, I think it looks good so far... and you should keep going.
    I use Photoshop so am not as familiar with specific workings inside GIMP, but layer masks are very useful and worth learning. They let you hide/show parts of the artwork on a specific layer without actually erasing anything. That's just the most basic explanation. There are lots of fun and exciting things you can use them for.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

One of you river is wrong: you have 2 rivers flowing out of the large western lake. Not impossible but it's uncommon. For example, it could happen for some period of time during the monsoon if the lake is overflowing.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    One of you river is wrong: you have 2 rivers flowing out of the large western lake. Not impossible but it's uncommon. For example, it could happen for some period of time during the monsoon if the lake is overflowing.
    But even an episodic even like that would not form two complete rivers. The episodic one would be more like a flood, not a second outlet.

Guild Novice

Ha! I knew I was going to catch flack for that one. Its a Canal. On the grandest scale. Built on the southern border of an ancient and decadent empire.

Guild Novice

Hey all, Been plugging away at this bugger, And I think that I finally have my mountains done!

Name:	tHALLOSIA DRAFT 6.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	75786
    I also have a version of the image with a parchment background that i have been toying with, but I can't seem to upload it. Too big perhaps? I'll figure that one out.

Anyway, on to deserts, hills, swamps, forests, cities, and so on next. My concern is that by the time all that is done the map will be too "busy" to put labels on. Any comments or ideas are welcome.