Thread: Alternate History Maps set in Antiquity

Default Alternate History Maps set in Antiquity

This is my very first commission of anything, ever, so I hope that I'm writing this request in sufficient detail to be helpful. Please bear with much of my uncertainty as I compose it, and be gentle with me.

Commission
    I have no reference point for how much is a reasonable sum to offer for this sort of commission. Just to throw out a number, I'd say I would go no higher than $100.

Subject and Style
    I'm looking for some assistance in making a map for an alternate history I'm writing. Here is a link to a previous version, that I'm in the gradual process of revising. The basic premise is your typical 'What if Alexander the Great lived longer?' and results in a larger Macedonian Empire upon his death, which still, of course, breaks up soon after. There are also lots of other small changes that have yet to make a big impact in this particular history, and some that have (in particular, I have a Bactrian nomad of nominal Greek descent conquer northern China). Page 3 of that thread includes a (very) rough draft of what the Mediterranean and Near East look like a generation after Alexander's death.

My initial hope is for a map detailing the expanded conquests of this alternate Alexander. There's plenty of examples of this on the web for the actual historical conquests, and this should be illustrative of what I'm looking for (just found that googling "alexander's conquests map"). That is an extremely detailed version, I am not looking for anything remotely that intricate. Basically, I would like the map to include:
    - Shading of regions to indicate their time of conquest (before Alexander, in the early campaign, later campaign, etc.), a basic route for Alexander's army, locations for major cities (especially any founded by Alexander or renamed for him), and some titles for various geographic regions (major territories, like Egypt, Persia, as well as major bodies of water), and some dates for key events/battles. An included map key would be appreciated.
    As a recap for what would be in this map divergent from the historical record: After recovering from illness in 323 BC, Alexander leads an expedition to Arabia, which falls by 321 BC, then onto Carthage, falling in 319 BC, Syracuse and Sicily in 318 BC, and Southern Italy (Magna Graecia) in 315 BC. He next campaigns against the steppe nomads of Scythia from 312 BC to 308 BC, and, after that, campaigns southward into Africa in 306 BC, where he reaches as far south as Zanzibar, before falling ill and dying upon returning to the capital in Babylon.

Ideally, I would like to commission future maps for this timeline, including, possibly, maps for the expansion of the Roman Republic, campaigns of Pyrrhus of Epirus, and the unification of China. That would all be in the future, so I'm not particularly concerned with it at the moment.

I would like the style to look like its from a history text book, or look antiquated (while still being accurate). Really, anything better looking than the rough draft I made.

Quality and Size
    I would leave this to the judgement of the artist, so long as the important features and text are legible to a viewer. The rough draft I created is 2214x1755 pixels, but thats including much territory that is irrelevant (and is a higher resolution than it really needs, but thats the template I had to work with).

Time Constraints
    Writing these timelines is a personal hobby, so time constraints are entirely flexible. Every crude map I've ever made has been produced in a couple days or less, so I have no real gauge for how long is a reasonable period for something of superior quality.

Copyright
    Reproduction rights for myself would be sufficient, I believe.

Contact Details
    Please contact me in this thread initially. Once I have enough posts to use the private message system, I will be happy to share my email with any interested parties.

That's all I have for the moment. If I've left anything too vague, please feel free to ask for more detail. Thank you all for your time.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Hello DominusNovus,

I would be very interested in this project.

Some examples of my work can be found here: http://curiouscartography.wordpress.com

See if you like any of my styles and perhaps we can talk more?

You can contact me through my portfolio site or cirias--at--live.co.uk

Cheers
    James

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Has this project been taken? If so I'll go ahead and archive this.