Thread: Castle Rowan Close

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Default Castle Rowan Close

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rowan close 1 - aug 27 2015.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	75690

I swear I'll finish the Hawthorn Fort and Ballybegrosh soon. Probably when I'm procrastinating on homework.

Here's a sketch of the Fair Folk summer-castle that my protagonist in Moonflowers ends up with. It's in the south of her kingdom and noted for two things: Being ridiculously scenic and pretty, thanks to being built into the walls of a corrie, and having a massive thousand-man garrison.

The garrison is huge because the southern half of the kingdom is really rugged and hilly, which causes two problems: The scouts are dedicated to pointing lost travelers back onto the road (and frequently bringing them to the castle to rest for a night or two), and most of the guards are busy making sure bandits and pirates don't try to get any ideas by taking the castle for themselves.

Geographically, it's close to one of the kingdom's cities and so it's got a whole lot of imported stuff from other kingdoms and countries thanks to the river. The Hawthorn Fort is the seat of the kingdom where a lot of important stuff gets done, but Rowan Close is the social gem of the kingdom--important noble/royal guests or very close friends? You get a room in the Dragonfly's House with a view of the Bloody Hundred Falls. Need to calm down some arguing lords? Stick them in Rowan Close and cram them with fancy food, and while they're busy going OMG I'M SO IMPORTANT, you can work out a deal that doesn't get anyone killed.

This area is also known for exporting cloudberries, which is apparently a VERY rare food in real-life and it's a delicacy in the Nordic countries because it's just so hard to grow it. So thanks to the general Northern/Celtic blend between this kingdom, I stuck a mead-hall right in the middle of the larger courtyard; it's been updated and modernized over the past few centuries, but everyone makes sure to keep the building's traditional silhouette and the timbered supports. "Valokki Sali" translates appropriately to "Cloudberry Hall" in Finnish. The garden has a small stock of cloudberry plants, and the village has a few berry-picking spots that they rotate every summer.
    Last edited by Kiba; 08-27-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Moonflowers is about an Irish guy, an American girl who ends up living with him, and the dog they rescue. Who is secretly the girl's presumed-dead father.

...Yeah, it's that kind of story.

And by story, I mean "fairy-tale."

And by fairy-tale, I mean "the unsettling kind."

I had to look up what a corrie was. It's good to learn things!

I get the impression you like to have a realistic number of buildings and such so I will say that with a garrison that size you need.... a bunch more "barrack" blocks or an equivalent because you've got a roman fort-size garrison. =P

If you're going with the anglo-scandinavian hall theme you could just put in more halls. The viking ringforts just had lots of large halls to accommodate the people in that way.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Whoo, someone learned something from me! XD

Also, I found my notes and the garrison is spread out among three buildings:
    -The Ship is basically a giant gatehouse, and it can probably fit 100-200 men.
    -The Compass houses the 100-200 members of the air/wind spirits.
    -The keep's back towers (the ones built into the rock) are giant monsters called the Dog's Teeth. The inner towers are smaller and used for the servants/storage. The top levels of the Dog's Teeth could certainly be expanded into the rock to house more guards. I'm guessing 200-300 would be a good number if you're not looking for more than the basic necessities, and then fairy-magic can double the space to fit 400-500.

But I'll definitely stick a couple more halls into the larger courtyard to spread things out more, especially since there's going to be the retinues of visiting nobility around as well. Thanks for the advice!
    Moonflowers is about an Irish guy, an American girl who ends up living with him, and the dog they rescue. Who is secretly the girl's presumed-dead father.

As noted in my other threads, I have been ridiculously busy. But on a good note, I have a giant-ass sketchbook for art class that I'll start transferring all my maps in progress to. Also, according to my notes, the castle has been renamed "Rockheight."
    Last edited by Kiba; 09-02-2016 at 10:29 PM.