Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Western United States

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I love this map! It's looking great, and is so much fun. The canyons look awesome, the perspective is inviting, and the rivers look really accurate and realistic.

As someone who currently lives in California (San Francisco), used to live in New Mexico (Albuquerque), and has some experience with these regions, I hope I can give a few little "detail" notes, for what they're worth.

1) New Mexico looks really good. The one thing I might add, since it could look really cool, is the great caldera of the volcano that is now known as the Jemez Mtns ("HEY-mess mountains"). It was once a massive volcano that exploded a couple million years ago...chunks of it have been found in Montana. It's just west of Santa Fe in that blank spot under Mesa Verde. It's a big, round caldera covering lots of ground. You can see the circular structure in a map like this one: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r3/lan...fsbdev3_022253

2) Looks like there's a spot open for Tucson, AZ

3) The Sierra Nevada Mtns look a little strange to me, and it's because of the north-south running valley with the trees in it. Most of us who live near there, have vacationed there, and have ridden rafts down those rivers know that virtually all of the big, important valleys in the Sierras are east-west valleys. There's Yosemite, east-west. A little north of that, Hetch Hetchy--also east-west. It just feels odd to see an implied, huge, forested north-south valley.

4) Mt. Shasta is even more impressive than Lassen Peak.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Thanks for the positive criticism about the areas, mistakes, refinements, I'll definetly continue to make this map more solid.

Waldronate mentioned earlier that real places are harder in many ways because there's always somebody out there who know how it really looks, I know he was right and I'll try to keep a positive outlook and continuing to rework the map. I do welcome the comments and hopefully I can keep refining it, as I visit the places myself someday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345