Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scaling and fitting of two adjoining elevation maps

Blog Entries

Just for info I have a free real time DEM viewer for windows. It takes in 8 bit greyscale, two 8 bit greyscales to make 16 bit height and also the HF2 format which is float based. So if you can work in HF2 then this is a real useful tool. It was written to debug DEM data. Its best to use tiles of 256 * 2^n size like 512, 1024, 1536, or 2048. You can stretch the visual height and rotate it about in real time.http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...ragons_flightII would advise using a DEM format such as HF2 but if you have to use images then you need something which will output a pair of greyscale images for this app such that the minor height file is the low byte and the height file is the high byte. If you want an example of the two images then download the other free app Instant Islands and generate any of the random terrains and have a look at the resulting bitmaps.I said it in another thread too that if you put a linear blend across two DEM data sets that have approximate the same kind of terrain scale then it looks pretty good. The valleys in one hitting the peaks in another blend out and look good. I dont think its necessary to sort out matching up peaks and valleys manually. Its impossible to get a result that is hydrologically correct in any kind of real DEM blending no matter how you do it. But the straight up blend is actually not that bad.I see this quick reply is ignoring formatting again...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-11-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks for the link, Redrobes. I'll certainly have a look at it and see if it can help solve the problem.

Cheers - Akubra
    “I am an agnostic on most matters of faith, but on the subject of maps I have always been a true believer. It is on the map, therefore it is, and I am.”
    ― Tony Horwitz, One for the Road: An Outback Adventure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12