Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September 2015 Challenge: The Durnstel Estimates

The bottom kinda make me think of Civilization . A good idea. I would make pop up more your icons (with a thicker line maybe?).

Blog Entries

Thank you for your comments : )

This update is a relatively small one, but there have been some changes:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Durnstel Estimates (9).png 
Views:	37 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	76061

I removed the co-ordinate lines and put in lines to show my number/letter grid. I think it looks a bit busier now, which could be a good thing. I'm torn as to whether or not I should remove the lines wherever they go over icons such as city icons. I put in small diamonds to show places of interest; I'll do a legend off to the side that makes use of the grid to identify these locations. I'm thinking most will be research labs, mines, power plants, etc..., but that's for a future update! I also made use of the small square in the lower left corner to put in "FM" for my username. That may change. I'm not a fan of intrusive logos, but I think it looks alright there. Let me know what you think, please. Also, all cities have now been named and labelled.

I'll see what I can do to make the icons pop out a bit more!
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Blog Entries

Hey all, I'm back with another update. This should be the last time I change the overall size and shape of the map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Durnstel Estimates (10).png 
Views:	61 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	76084

Changes include adding translucent white backgrounds to the city icons (to make them pop out more, as Ilanthar suggested), the expanding of the overall map size, the expanding of the bottom legend, the text size increases, and another half-inch or so of map on the right hand side. The space I left on the right is for filling in symbol information and identifying the places of interest (using the number/letter grid).

I'm interested to see what you guys think about the icon changes. I did not make the icons (see above) and, as this is my first digital map, I'm not overly skilled in the ways of minute editing. So I don't know how to make the lines thicker! But I think the white backgrounds are pretty effective.

Thanks!
    Last edited by foremost; 09-17-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I'll be providing another update a bit later today, or perhaps tomorrow!

On a side note, since the nature of the project has changed from one to multiple silos, could a CL rename this thread to: "September 2015 Challenge: The Durnstel Estimates"? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by foremost; 09-18-2015 at 08:30 PM.

The white background is working, still I think a darker line would work better. I suppose you could use a layer effect like "multiply" or maybe some shadows to make them more obvious. I think I would probably redraw them with a larger or darker line.

A nice and original idea.
    Nice choice of colours and nice choice of a "boardgame" style (as I see it, at least).
    Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments guys!

As usual, I lost a little steam over the weekend, but picked it up again this morning. I filled in the great wall of text, and there's bound to be a typo or two, so (if anyone actually reads it!) let me know what you find.

This update should be a higher resolution than the previous ones. It's certainly a bigger file.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Durnstel Estimates (11).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	76222

There will be at least one more update to fix the little things I [we] find. Since there's also a little time left in the challenge, I may get a final expansion in. Dunno.

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

You've clearly put a lot of time into this. I like the world-building aspects and peripheral details. My only suggestion is that you increase the size of your labels on the map; they're dwarfed by their corresponding icons.

Blog Entries

Thanks Coriolis, I think that's a good idea... will make that change for the next update!

On a side note, I'd like to again request that a CL rename this thread to "September 2015 Challenge: The Durnstel Estimates". It was orignally only supposed to be one silo, but the nature of the project changed.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    On a side note, I'd like to again request that a CL rename this thread to "September 2015 Challenge: The Durnstel Estimates". It was orignally only supposed to be one silo, but the nature of the project changed.
    It's now done

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast