Thread: Map(s)

Default Map(s)

Background of request

I am currently playing a multiplayer play by email (PBEM) game called Dominions 4 Thrones of Ascension. I am not a developer nor publisher for said game, merely a player. It is a turn-based strategy game set in a (unusually) violent fantasy universe, populated by various nations, hundreds of units, thousands of spells and items and so forth. The game uses images as (in-game) maps (.tga file format) after those images/maps are appropriately adjusted for the game engine.

Reason for request

While the game of course has its maps, some of the best maps around which we (players) use are made by modders, for free in their spare time. Since I am no modder, and have no time to do that, but I am willing to purchase maps created by others, I have chosen to make this request.

Style

Some maps that come with the game:

1. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	urraparrand-caves_zps5251c2eb.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	75887

2. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parganos_wrap.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	75888

Some (free) maps made by modders, that we (other players) can use:

3. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c3bbbbd-df38-42c1-83f1-84d9c5226a57.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	75889

4. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1400717685490.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	895.6 KB 
ID:	75890

As you can see, the styles can vary greatly. However, there are several things which I prefer and would like to be:

1. Ratio of land to water should be around 5:1

2. There should be at least one "sea" (or lake) somewhat larger than others; other "seas"/lakes can be smaller, and of course there can be rivers, swamps etc.

3. I prefer a "continent-like" map to "world-like" or "province-like". Actually, the map should not look like a province. There needs to be a sense of scale to it, and a continent is optimum in my opinion.

4. I prefer diverse terrain types - lakes, swamps, rivers (but not too many of them), tundras, frozen wastelands, deserts etc. The more diverse the better.

5. Colour scheme - you can make it as colourful as any of the latter 3, or choose to go with a few colours only (green and brown for example) as can be seen in the first 2 pictures.

6. (rather important) While having a bunch of different maps is nice, making more or less modified maps of the same base map is also welcome. The modifications could include the reversal of terrain (where there were frozen wastelands now could be deserts etc.), increase/decrease of the land/water ratio etc.

Quality & Size

To be honest, I will need to update this field, after I ask several people what would be the optimum size of the map.

As for quality, the higher the better - with respect to my finances/offer.

Time Constraints

None? If it will cost me less, then take weeks, or a month if need be, for the work you would otherwise finish in a few days time.

Copyright

1. I have no financial interest in this. I would pay for the map, and the map would from then on be distributed (to my playmates) free of charge.

2. This, of course, means that I cannot control the distribution of the map.

3. Thus, I presume, I should have the distribution rights but not copyrights. However, and I must stress this, I cannot control its distribution once it is "on the internet". If need be, I could contact the Dominions 4 maps database holder (available here: http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi) to hold it, so it is accessible freely to everyone... The map maker would be credited and linked to of course, if they so wish.

Payment

Via PayPal.

The important question is how much I am willing to pay. This, I understand, depends on several factors, the size of the map included (for the size I will need to consult more). Generally, I would not go beyond ~ $30 per map, or map pack. I would also rather have several maps made for that price than only one. $30 is not much, but considering everything said, me not gaining any financial benefit off of it, I think it to be a reasonable amount.

Contact Details

You can contact me via the the following email:

koni662_at_yahoo_dotty_com

(change "_at_" to "@" and "_dotty_" to ".")

PS

As I am rather in a hurry, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nahru; 09-08-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I hate to be "that guy", but I feel I need to put things into perspective here, Nahru. I'm not trying to be hostile or anything, but as a non-native speaker I may lack the subtlety to transport what I want to say in more polite terms.
    Truth is, most people here won't even start up Photoshop for $30, let alone provide you with a detailed, fully colored map (or map pack!) that'll then be freely distributed around the web without them gaining anything from it. Let me quote cartography big wig arsheesh from this thread, where also a colored map was requested:
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    ... Just a friendly word of advice. If you are not receiving much interest in this piece, you may want to think about adjusting your budget. For a map of the scale and quality you are asking, it wouldn't be uncommon for an artist to charge in the area of $500+ for the project. ...
    To use my own experience as a part-time freelancer, at the point where I am now you would have to pay five times your budget to get a black and white map. For private use. Sorry mate, but $30 is just plain unrealistic. There's just no relation between the work load and the payout.

To put what Wired has to say in perspective, it will likely take a seasoned pro more than 10 hours to do the drawing part of a map like that (assuming standard brush sets and not counting communication, concept, layout, approvals, and payment). A novice might take a lot longer (assuming they finished at all) and the results would probably be marginal. Asking someone to work for a dollar or two an hour isn't usually going to get you much in the way of responses.

About the only way to get results for $30 is to locate a piece of drawing software (e.g. the GIMP) and some map brushes and do the work yourself. If you can increase your budget to around $50, ProFantasy's CC3+ product has a very nice built-in brush set by Mike Schley along with lots of tutorials that will get you acceptable results in a couple of days if you're willing to work at it.

Blog Entries

$30 USD
    ????

that buys 20 min. of part time while half watching a TV show ,maybe a bit more if the show is a rerun .
    basically what most of us here would volunteer to do while posting a reply on the forum .
    somethings can be ran off fast

not those above examples

those examples i would guess at about the $600 to $3000 price range
    more or less depending on the artist
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I see. I was unaware of such things, but it was better to ask anyway, as I have lost nothing by it. Thanks for the input either way. I presume there is a way to lock the thread then?

Banned User

Hi Nahru,

There was no reason for anyone to sound so harsh about your offer. Many people don't realize just how much work and time goes into making maps like these, and you are certainly free to ask.

The first commission I ever did was for $60 and I made about $2/hour doing it, but it was fun and a good learning experience. You may still find someone willing to do your map for a reasonable price, if you care to change your offer ask for quotes.

Yes, we get new members here frequently so there are likely some people just starting out or non-pros with talent who would enjoy working on this project for fun or experience or to build a portfolio and who are willing to take less pay, so you may still find someone. Your wide margin of style and looser time frame, plus your willingness to use basically the same map slightly altered to make up a set are not bad lures for such. I wish you luck.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram