Thread: Good forum for general worldbuilding?

Default Good forum for general worldbuilding?

I expect this has been asked somewhere before, but "worldbuilding" is too common a search term here to be much use.

Where can I ask general questions about worldbuilding that aren't related to geography?

I've been using Worldbuilding StackExchange for some of my questions, but as they struggle to make clear, "StackExchange is a question and answer site, not a general-purpose forum". There are a lot of decent answers, but the format favors certain types of questions. Specifically, it favors trying to reach a predetermined outcome. Questions of the forms "Is cause X likely to create effect Y?" and "I want to create effect Y, what cause could do this?" predominate. General "If cause X, then what happens to the world?" questions tend to get locked.

So where is there a good knowledge base for dealing with open-ended, top-down questions: "Given this political system / these rules of magic / etc, what happens?" I want to get the possible outcomes I haven't thought to specifically ask about.

http://www.thecbg.org/

but depending on the question, they could be appropriate on Worldbuilding StackExchange. It's a case by case thing.

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that these don't have anything (necessarily) to do with RPGs.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Then I would assume that it would be for a novel of some sort. The CBG is still a good source of help developing a world as the process is generally the same for setting up a campaign setting or a world for a book. You still need to figure out how people live, react and do things within your world. They are great at doing that and helping others do same.
    Last edited by Korash; 09-15-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling :(
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Would the world-building sub-reddit be what you're looking for?

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The worldbuilding subreddit looks exactly like what I want... but I've come across it before and was hoping for an alternative. I have some serious political issues with Reddit's policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Triplicate View Post
    I have some serious political issues with Reddit's policies.
    ... I'm curious ....
    (you secretly wanted someone to ask, didn't you )

im probably way off here but why don't you just lay down some basic idea's or outline and starting going.....people(us/we}will give you plenty to start once there is a place to put our idea's....

This is all based on secondhand information, but...

I don't like Reddit's basic organizing philosophy of moderation, where subreddit moderators have extensive freedom in setting standards for their board, including freedom to impose political bias. I consider this hypocritical: if you set a policy of freedom of speech, you should require the same of others. (I should note that I consider the US Constitution and most similar documents to be hypocritical in exactly the same way. Laws you impose on your citizens should be consistent with your constitution.)

They contribute a portion of their ad revenue to charity. The list of recipients shows a distinct political bias. Yes, they were voted on by users, but that doesn't help anything. There's a difference between the user base skewing a certain way and having the site itself donate to causes that skew a certain way.