Thread: WIP Map and Introduction

Guild Novice

Wip WIP Map and Introduction

Hello all, I've been perusing the Cartographer's Guild for a few years now, but only recently started making my own maps. I figured I'm at a level where I should make an official account and start posting my maps for like-minded people. Here's a WIP of a map I'm currently making with no particular setting in mind (this usually comes to me after I've drawn the map). I'm using Photoshop and a tablet. I'm thinking the mountain-range currently pictured is too light for the overall colour scheme so I may go back and darken the mountains.

I'm using a paper texture from Fantastic Maps, but may go back and make my own texture for the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y13hVDd.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	692.8 KB 
ID:	76073

Guild Novice

Completely Different map but I scrapped the WIP and started on a new map within the same general area (In my fantasy continet "Katus"). I feel the style of this one is much better than where I was going with the old map. This is still highly a WIP and the text is somewhat of an issue in how to keep it within the asthetic of the map. I used brushes instead of hand-drawn mountains this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uncgbKK.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	76076

Coastline looks great! I would like to know where you got that tea stained paper texture from. Would love to use it at some point in the near future

Check out Aniron font. This has that calligraphy/Tolkein style font that would keep with the mountain, and tree look.
    http://www.1001fonts.com/aniron-font.html

more brushes here (im guessing this is where you DL'd your current brushes from.
    http://www.photoshopwebsite.com/phot...free-download/

Guild Novice

Thanks for the links! I got my brushes through various sites including deviantart as well as free brushes suggested by Fantastic Maps who, apparently, is also on this site.

The paper texture I downloaded from here.
    Lots of cool paper textures to download as well as other textures. According to the site they're available for personal and comercial use. I used a lot of overlaying black and white to contrast the land from the water.

Great! Thanks for the tips