• Yes

20 76.92%
  • No

6 23.08%

Thread: Iron Mapper Challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

To an extent, I was hoping this approach would leave things more open to interesting interpretations, to be honest I pondered long and hard about adding goblin to the list as it almost rules out a futuristic take on the challenge.

From the list I suggested you could have a range from woodlands through to 100% urban all sharing the same items.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the things I really like about this idea is the "title" of it.

We're working on the Lite Mapping Challenge concept, and I think it will please you all...the Iron Mapping Challenge would be another neat addition...but I dunno...will require some thought
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I like the name but how will the eventual challenge be different from what we have now?

Smart names are a great thing but so is keeping a good tradition alive - no matter the name.

If you want to tip you hat to the name have a few monthly challenges in this idiom.

If you want to do a 'light' challenge how about we come up with some community map elements. Compass roses, trees, etc... make them a week per element and all the results some sort of progressive license (CC, Gnu etc...).

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    One of the things I really like about this idea is the "title" of it.
    Not that I am saying the format has to match the show, but for those who have no idea what Iron Chef is, here is a short explanation.

A challenger chef is selected by the producers to "compete". He is brought into the arena and either he(US version) or the host(Japan version) chooses his opponent from a pool(2-5) of "Iron Chefs" who are "masters of their art" The host then reveals the weeks secret ingredient, of which each of 5 meals must consist of said ingredient. As soon as the secret ingredient is revealed, the contestant and his Iron Chef opponent (and their 2 junior chefs each) are allowed exactly 60 minutes to prepare their 5 meals. After time is called, each chef address the judges to explain each of his 5 dishes. Then, the judges rate the entire meal based on use of the secret ingredient, originality and presentation by giving up to 20 points per chef (10, 5 , and 5 IIRC) for a max of 60 points (20 times 3 judges). Winner has the most point total.

EDIT: Allez Cuisine!
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 10-16-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Nov 07 challenge was like that, sort of...

The November 07 Challenge kind of worked that way. Yes, it was a "Create an Old West" map, but required a specific list of objects to be included on the map - mountains, hills, butte, cactus, railroad tracks, etc.

So, in a way, we've done a challenge that had this type of setup involved.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations