Thread: Favourite Image License?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Favourite Image License?

I think one of the sad things about the internet is the orphaned future of some creations.

It is human nature to value what we do and invent - everyone likes to think their doodle will be the next Mickey Mouse - but very often our works are sparks of brilliance that fade as the messages get old and we do other things.

One really good answer to this is to publicly license your work as you create it so that others can have obvious terms to reuse it and have it shine again in another form. There are various licenses and as soon as I use one I wonder if it will be the popular one. Will it attract others to use and reuse the work.

Here's a list of licenses I'm aware of. I wondered if there were any I'm missing and among them what people like.

1) Public Domain - No strings attached
    2) Creative Commons - Selective strings, typically no commercial use.
    3) Creative Commons 'Share and Share Alike' -?
    4) Gnu Document License - Similar to CC above
    5) Gnu Public License - Mostly for computer code. Very widespread in its dominant area. Historic.
    6) Artistic License - ?

?
    ?

And of course

7) Copyright @ - This maintains whatever rights the author actually has in the real world. (The real power of those rights is a different argument.) If you use it you better leave full contact information for yourself with the work or somewhere prominent. It is the most conservative but the most prone to burying your work - people will shy away from using something if they can't or don't want to talk to you.
    All of the above licenses rely on copyright to 'authorize' the work.

Anyone have others to add to the list.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-16-2008 at 11:32 AM.