Thread: Fantasy maps - small but continuous work

Default Fantasy maps - small but continuous work

Hi,

I am looking to establish a collaboration with a skilled cartographer for continuous work over at least a year’s time, maybe longer. The work will cover a fantasy kingdom, and regions surrounding it, all while we explore the world on the blog. Some areas might be more detailed than others, and might require city maps made as well. I also need that person to be able to commit to continuous work (approximately one map per month), and master drawing, as I am not interested in map-software generated creations (no matter how good they are). It doesn’t has to be crafted by hand on paper for that sake, Photoshop and whatever input tools you have, scanner or digital drawing board, will do just fine.

To apply
    Please send me a brief presentation of yourself and why you would make a great addon to our team. Also, include previous experience if any, and a portfolio link.

Style
    The game is a medieval-themed TTRPG, and so do the maps need to be themed as well. I’ll do all the writing on the maps, so you don’t have to spend any time on decorative pagination or typography, just the maps, environment, symbols and special objects (which can be temple ruins, transdimensional gates, old battlefields etc). When I write medieval-themed, I mean that. No satellite or perfect perspectives are wished for, neither is a cartoonish or too playful style. If you have seen the maps of MERP (Middle-Earth Role-Playing game) you get where I’m heading, or even Gary Chalk’s work on the early Lone Wolf maps. Simple, yet moody, and "medieval”. During this project, I hope to develop symbols and iconography we can reuse over time. Here is a snippet from a previous commissioned map (i'd like to develop further):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skärmavbild 2015-09-19 kl. 23.10.08.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	76181

Quality
    Semi-professional to professional quality wanted, delivered in a structured, layered PSD file, so modifications can be done if need be. Deliverables need to be made in 300dpi (600 is also okay, and actually preferred) and RGB, use international A4 (210 mm width, 297 mm height) format.

Time Constraints
    One map per month over at least a years time. Dates for monthly delivery can be agreed on once we start. Currently, we are months ahead of our planning, so we have currently plenty of time.

Commission
    50-100 USD per map, depending on complexity.

Copyright
    I need exclusive use rights for the artwork, but you will own the copyright. The only limitation is that it cannot be sold or used commercially elsewhere, except for your own portfolio or personal marketing. You also will get full credit in the game.

Contact
    As I'm new here PM don't work, so email me at old.sentinel.mail@gmail.com instead.
    Last edited by Old Sentinel; 09-19-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: EDIT: Clarified "Lord of the Rings" to MERP RPG instead.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hello Old Sentinel!

Cold you per chance elobarate on the style you desire (I'm familiar with the LotR map, but it isn't exactly full of detail)? Would these maps be in color?

Hi Old Sentinel, can you provide us some examples of the style you want?

Hi, I'm sorry if I didn't attach any visuals. Will add some later today (central european time).

Ok, first post updated.

Post 4 is here, and I'm going to make a fifth. Sorry admins, its a hassle without the PM function. Hope it is okay.

Feel free to post any links to your portfolio. That was post no 5. I'll stop now.

Has this project been taken? If so I'll go ahead and archive this.

Yes, thank you!