Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Back to Easteorra (Overhaul & Coloration)

It is looking awesome Wired
    I love the swamps for sure.
    There are a ton of awesome little features in there.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lewis View Post
    Excellent work, Wired. A lot of detail and sososo many things to look at. I love the textures you've used for your ocean and landmass. Something I'd like to emulate in my work.
    Thank you, glad you like them. Though basically it's just a parchment texture to which I applied an assortment of grunge brushes in a number of layer styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Impressive forests! I love the misty swamps... the mists are a really nice touch.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It is looking awesome Wired
    I love the swamps for sure.
    There are a ton of awesome little features in there.
    Thank you, glad you like it so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easteorra_upload_6_by_stratomunchkin-dauu5d9.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	90983

Here's the next update. I'm getting closer to the finish line, with most the remaining work now being just the labelling, some coats of arms, maybe some small flags. I'm not sure what to add in the high north, or if I should add anything at all since what we see at the moment marks the extent of human colonization on the continent.

I'm not too happy with the parchment roll I created for the legend, though. If you guys and ladies have any recommendations or suggestions for what I can still add or change at this point I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Wired; 01-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.

What kind would you like ? At the moment, one of the problems I can spot is that the curls at both ends make the parchment look concave, coming up left AND right. If you showed only the curl on one side, it'll look better. If you want a more gritty parchment, there's one I did a while ago. I provided it for Abu Lafia, post #12. It's a bit dark but it can be lighten. It's torn and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    What kind would you like ? At the moment, one of the problems I can spot is that the curls at both ends make the parchment look concave, coming up left AND right. If you showed only the curl on one side, it'll look better. If you want a more gritty parchment, there's one I did a while ago. I provided it for Abu Lafia, post #12. It's a bit dark but it can be lighten. It's torn and flat.
    Thank you, I played with the texture but in the end decided to go with a more traditional approach in the end.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Beautifully detailed work, Wired, WOW! This is certainly a map I would love to emulate in my own work. I am fond of the colors you use as well. A humble suggestion on the legend - maybe adding some shadowing to it would bring it to life? Thanks for sharing an update

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lewis View Post
    Beautifully detailed work, Wired, WOW! This is certainly a map I would love to emulate in my own work. I am fond of the colors you use as well. A humble suggestion on the legend - maybe adding some shadowing to it would bring it to life? Thanks for sharing an update
    Hey Chris, and thanks for the praise. After playing around with different versions of the legend I settled for a more traditional approach.

Also, I'm very close to completion now! Redid the town, city and castle icons as I wasn't happy with the mix of colors in place. Most preliminary settlement names are in place (though will be subject to change once I can narrow down a naming regime), which means the next step is to label geographic features.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easteorra_upload_8_by_stratomunchkin-dav1pq9.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	91139

Guild Journeyer

Love the Argonath like Statues that you call the Sentinel Stones. The detail of this map is fun and interesting.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Looks really good, Wired. I'm really looking forward to see how you lay down the labeling on your map!

Ladies and gentlemen, the finished map is now up and online, and here's the thread for it. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456