Views:	490 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	76343

Legend:

- Blue: a subduction zone
    - Red: rift
    - Green: transform fault
    - Purple: convergent boundary

Some of my observations concerning Earth's tectonics which I tried to include in the revised tectonic layout:

1. There is an "expanding ocean" (or oceans) centered at the seams where the previous supercontinent broke apart. Right now on Earth the Atlantic and the Indian oceans are expanding. On the other hand, there is also a "closing ocean". In the case of Earth this is the Pacific.

- On Aduhr, the expanding ocean in the revised layout is the "inner ocean" (called Valkathain), while the "outer ocean" (Agalhain) is in the process of closing. I toyed with the idea of reversing the roles, just to make things different from Earth, but ultimately decided against it since I had so many island chains east of Rheada and it would have been difficult to justify their existence without a situation similar to one that occurs in the Western Pacific on Earth.

2. A major continental plate usually has a "leading edge" of continental crust and a "trailing edge" of oceanic crust.

- This is a result of the fact that oceanic crust always sinks beneath continental crust, whereas new oceanic crust is created at the seams where continental plates are diverging.

- The major exception to this rule is the Antarctic plate, which is surrounded by oceanic crust. Probably related to the fact that Antarctis is moving relatively little compated to the other continents.

And while speaking of Antarctis, can anyone explain the Transantarctic mountains?
    The mountains are located in the middle of the continental plate, yet the highest peak reaches 4 500 metres. From what I gather from wikipedia, the mountains are formed largely because of the West Antarctic Rift. Does this mean that the Antarctic plate is actually two separate plates, or is it possible for major mountain chains to form even inside a plate with no external tectonic influence?
    Last edited by Charerg; 09-28-2015 at 12:22 PM.