Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Draw Fantasy Art and RPG Maps - Jared Blando

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default How to Draw Fantasy Art and RPG Maps - Jared Blando

So this book arrived last week from Amazon and I'm just getting a good look into it. My first impression is amazing. This book is a really great tool and, although I've been making maps for awhile now, I'm seeing all sorts of little ideas that I want to incorporate into my future projects. The book mostly outlines one path to drawing a regional or world map, but there are all sorts of useful things to pick up along the way.

The coolest thing though, for me, is that the structure makes it easy for me to collaborate on a map with my son, who is seven. We can follow the step-by-step instructions and work our way towards a really cool drawing of a world that's been building in his imagination for a few months now. We've done some coastlines and some mountains and I can see he's really enjoying watching the place take shape on the page.

cheers,
    Meshon

Bought it immediately to support one of our own. And already went through it all. There are lots of things to pick up, not to mention I really like his style.

And great for the family bonding Meshon

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Jared posts here as TheRedEpic. I had no idea he'd wrote a book on the topic! His maps have an easily recognizable style.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

TRAITOR!!!!

All our secrets, exposed!

Jared's book is what brought me here and given me the motivation to try my hand at drawing maps.

Thanks again, Jared!

wonderful news, the book is my cart at amazon now

Does anybody know what tools he demonstrates in the book, or is it purely conceptual?

I don't have the book and can't answer your question precisely, however you can get something of a feel for it with Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature (I usually find you can see more pages if you're signed in to your Amazon account). I'm sure someone else will be along who can give you a better answer, though.

I've thought a couple of times about buying it but never quite got round to it. Might ask Santa for it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalus View Post
    Does anybody know what tools he demonstrates in the book, or is it purely conceptual?
    The book is about the process of creating a fantasy world/region map. Most of the references to tools are aimed at hand drawing with pencil. It's not a book that tells you, "How to use layer effects to make forests" or anything like that, and it focuses on overland maps. You won't see Jared's battlemaps in this book. It's highly awesome, and fun to work through.

Hope that helps!

cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks for the info, Meshon
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast