Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: Nissyr Arcology

To create a component or group, select all the faces and nodes of the bits you want in it. (It's usually easier to create models in separate files so you can just CTRL+A to select all. I found this out the hard way. Selecting only what you want to select in a larger model is time-consuming and I frequently missed bits that were integral to the model.) Right click, and you should get the option to "create component" or "create group". For my lower class housing, I'd have a roof component and a house component, then fit them together and made them into a larger component. You can then group clusters of models so they're easier to move around together.

It does make editing more time-consuming because you have to right click on a component/group, then edit, then start the actual edits/drawing - but it also saves on mistakes, because you're not integrating the component model into the larger model. (I've got a terrain component in my map with building components/groups on top. I originally tried drawing them without the components and any edits were costly. Deleting one thing could ruin the entire map by deleting faces or lines I didn't want gone.)

The best part is that you can save models as components and then import them into other files.

I like the lines on your dome. It helps show the shape, so I'd leave them in (especially if your dome is has a metal framework that suits the same lines). I don't think the shape would be nearly so clear if you removed them.

Trees... you can find models for trees in the Sketchup model database (I forget offhand how to get to it, but it's one of the default toolbar icons, I think. Import model or something like that). They're flat so you can only see them from one angle (some are sideways, some are top-down), but might still give your model a bit of colour.

Fields, on the other hand... As far as I know, you'd need to draw out the sections that are fields and then change the colour or texture. You could use a vegetation texture, maybe? Or just a deeper green since your model's just simple colours. (I like it that way, by the way. I think textures would ruin the style you've got.)

Snodsy & Soggymuse : thanks so much, both of you ! Your good counsels help a lot.

I think I won't do the land around the city : it's just too big for my computer to handle it... But I'll definitely consider playing with sketchup to do lands.
    I found pine tries in 3D, but I'm not sure it's worth it, considering that the arcology view is very small scale.

I placed successfully my rail station (thanks to your advices !), and did some lower class blocks (using some available models for furnitures). Thoughts?
    As I like the idea of a global view of a level, it's a lot of work and probably to small to make out the details... but... well, I'll see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nissyr Arcology.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	77353
    I'm gonna work on a mall/shop level now.

Look good,
    After you draw and place the component on a level, you can cut a section through it pretty simply. Google a tutorial on it.

You can also HIDE elements/layer. So if you what a top perspective view looking down in level 2 but level 3 is in the way, you can hide level 3 and see right into level 2 - that make since?

You might also want to do a tutorial on LAYERS it works differently in sketch up that other programs, but has some good advantages.

Must everything you do be epic scale?
    I am always surprised and pleased with the direction you take with your work Ilanthar.
    This looks like it is going to be very interesting.

Thanks again snodsy, I was already using the layers, but I discovered the "section plane".

OK, I'm still not decided yet, but I think I will use a combination of Global view/cut view for showing the different kind of levels/top view of a level/iso view of the representative parts of the level...
    I needed to know where to put the light wells and stairs, so I finally did a complete lower class residential level... (on the top view) and the start of the first "mall & shops" level.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Nissyr Arcology.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	77402
    By J. Edward
    Must everything you do be epic scale?
    I seems that I don't know how to do otherwise, and you're not the last for epic scale maps (Haerlech?). I wanted something big and new for the annual challenge... But I've seen probably too big for what it turns in a two month challenge...
    Thanks for the support!

This is looking really good and I have to admire you for the diversity of your maps and your skills. Your last big work was a classic fantasy map, and now we have this awesomeness!

Also, I'm amused at your discussion with J.Edward about epic scale. Yeah, pot meet kettle....
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is looking fantastic, Ilanthar. And I'm glad my advice helped. I spent most of April working on a city map in SketchUp (because I couldn't visualise a vertical mountain with a normal top-down map and can't draw isometric myself) and I know how much work goes into a single small model, so kudos to you for this one!

There is a small space behind the toilets and ticketing room of the train station, behind the stairs, that seems like a waste, though. Might I suggest walling off behind the stairs as a janitor's closet or storage space instead? (I'm looking at the middle diagram on the second row.) A wall there would help stop people falling off that level and crashing into the stairs below, too. (:

The lower class apartment blocks look great and reasonably tiny. I can perfectly picture the working class folk who live there, and just looking at your little squares of apartments and how they fit together is inspiring all kinds plot bunnies. (Which is weirdly brilliant, btw, I haven't been inspired to write since November last year!) Do you think the glass in the floor could be a sort of gateway to a garden or maybe the space between floor and ceiling is filled with water or something? People always cope with small spaces better if they have a nice view. Maybe they double up the space by having fish farms where people can watch the fishies.

I love how you fit the blocks together, too. The only thing is that there's a spot where it seems like two sections don't quite fit together - the "corridor" is tiny there and seems to block access from one section to the next (the diagram bottom right). Is that a deliberate separation of neighbourhoods/wards? If so, you might want to create an actual wall there

Any empty space in weird corners between apartment blocks would probably be used as storage for cleaning supplies or tools or emergency equipment, too. The more squarish spaces between blocks (like in the middle of the "arm") would probably be communal space with a bit of greenery to encourage community and healthy living. (I can picture small groups doing yoga in tiny gardens with UV lighting for fake sun.)

I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thanks to both of you!

By Soggymuse
    There is a small space behind the toilets and ticketing room of the train station, behind the stairs, that seems like a waste, though. Might I suggest walling off behind the stairs as a janitor's closet or storage space instead? (I'm looking at the middle diagram on the second row.) A wall there would help stop people falling off that level and crashing into the stairs below, too. (:
    There's in fact another door between the ticketing room and those stairs. But now that you're saying it, I should probably do a direct access between the stairs and the quay.

The lower class apartment blocks look great and reasonably tiny. I can perfectly picture the working class folk who live there, and just looking at your little squares of apartments and how they fit together is inspiring all kinds plot bunnies. (Which is weirdly brilliant, btw, I haven't been inspired to write since November last year!) Do you think the glass in the floor could be a sort of gateway to a garden or maybe the space between floor and ceiling is filled with water or something? People always cope with small spaces better if they have a nice view. Maybe they double up the space by having fish farms where people can watch the fishies.
    Well, the glass is just a light well going from the top to the first levels and the space between floor and ceiling is supposed to be filled with cables/pipes/air ducts, everything required... There will be gardens and parcs at levels 31-35. Glad it inspires you anyway .

I love how you fit the blocks together, too. The only thing is that there's a spot where it seems like two sections don't quite fit together - the "corridor" is tiny there and seems to block access from one section to the next (the diagram bottom right). Is that a deliberate separation of neighbourhoods/wards? If so, you might want to create an actual wall there
    Sorry, I'm not sure to see the corridor you're talking about. Could you circle it?

Any empty space in weird corners between apartment blocks would probably be used as storage for cleaning supplies or tools or emergency equipment, too. The more squarish spaces between blocks (like in the middle of the "arm") would probably be communal space with a bit of greenery to encourage community and healthy living. (I can picture small groups doing yoga in tiny gardens with UV lighting for fake sun.)
    Good ideas (and more work!) : I will certainly add that. I was actually wondering how to fill those blanks.
    Thanks a lot for the numerous ideas!

Still working on the mall level1 and how to assemble the whole thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    There's in fact another door between the ticketing room and those stairs. But now that you're saying it, I should probably do a direct access between the stairs and the quay.

Well, the glass is just a light well going from the top to the first levels and the space between floor and ceiling is supposed to be filled with cables/pipes/air ducts, everything required... There will be gardens and parcs at levels 31-35. Glad it inspires you anyway .

Sorry, I'm not sure to see the corridor you're talking about. Could you circle it?

Good ideas (and more work!) : I will certainly add that. I was actually wondering how to fill those blanks.
    Thanks a lot for the numerous ideas!

Still working on the mall level1 and how to assemble the whole thing...
    Glad I could help. I think my imagination got away from me.

Looking at it again, it might be a scale issue (as in, to fit it on the diagram, not something you've done wrong) making it only look like the space is too narrow compared to other corridors, or maybe I'm confusing what the space actually is. (If I'm comparing it correctly with the diagram above, it's actually empty space so my point is moot anyway.) I circled it for you, though, just in case it is something you hadn't spotted. The more I look at the overall map, though, the more it looks like I'm seeing a problem that isn't actually there.

Name:	IlantharsArcology.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	77600

Ah! You're right actually (and have sharp eyes by the way ). It's narrower in this zone... I haven't placed some of the blocks quite correctly.

The thing is that I've been too bold with this : too much work for the deadline, and not enough skills (no skills at all, at start) with sketchup. Do it properly, I would certainly restart it all on "safe foundations". I think I will lowered my ambitions and just put a global view, a side view, and some blocks (rail station, the actual lower class block, a part of a mall level, and if I got the time, a middle class block).

Anyway, thanks for the help again, I've learned a lot about sketchup, and I will certainly do a 3D map of Argona the "proper way"!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast