Thread: Goldenfields

Map Goldenfields

Well, I finally made another map for my own gaming needs. Because so many of the resources I use don't have the awesome maps that I have come to desperately crave for my tables (hehe), I had to start making my own. And that one simple step was enough to thrust me into the cartography world and make mapmaking an addiction... <sigh>... And so I fell--hard--into the hedonistic pit of zen joy that is mapmaking. And this is the latest one I've put together.

A few words:
    This piece is something entirely out of my own head, working with the descriptions in the adventure my group is running through right now–Princes of the Apocalypse.

There is no map of Goldenfields in that adventure. It’s supposed to be a huge, 20+-square-mile farm–the largest farm in the region. What makes Goldenfields so unique is that it’s all within a wall that is protected by the druids and farmers that operate Goldenfields. Their harvests are well known in the region, and they provide a huge amount of grain and foodstuffs to Waterdeep, several hundred miles to the south and the largest city in that campaign setting's world.

Goldenfields is a giant shrine dedicated to the goddess Chantea of the Forgotten Realms pantheon. The druids and priests that live there help administer the farming in her name. The 5,000+ inhabitants of Goldenfields are spread out within that huge retaining wall, which is patrolled by hired adventurers and sell swords. There is no interest in expanding from an “imperialistic” perspective, but instead from the desire to enhance crop-making capabilities and increase the amount harvested every season.

As such, the orginal lands that belonged to Goldenfields have slowly annexed surrounding lands and expanded their walls. The are several fortifications along the perimeter, which has expanded over generations. Several gated access points permit travel in and out of the stronghold. At any given time, several dozen adventurers of a variety of different classes help patrol the lands within and without the walls.

Goldenfields itself is nicknamed “The Breadbasket of the North” because it primarily grows wheat which is used to make bread. But they also grow corn, nuts, various fruits and vegetables, and have the largest orchard on the Sword Coast. They tend several herds of animals for pork, beef, mutton, milk, and wool. While their primary goal is the farming of grains, they are very aware that the rotation of seasons allows other crops to be harvested in the name of Chantea as well.

Small hamlets have developed throughout the stronghold as the need for easy access to different crops necessitated a closer proximity to the fields. These hamlets have names, but are far from official "towns". They often lack facilities and merchants that might be common place in other villages, such as inns, blacksmiths, wheelrights, magic users, etc. For these necessities, most of the inhabitants travel to Goldenfields proper. There they can acquire healing as well as any sundries they might require.

Water comes from a divinely wrought spring under Goldenfields proper that supplies the region. Clever priests created an aqueduct that carries the water south among the surrounding higher elevations.

This particular map is something I threw together in about 8 hours. It’s not perfect, but it’s functional. It’s enough to give players an idea of the magnitude of the area they’re in. My players like illustrations and maps, so I think this will be an interesting one for them. Feel free to use it as you will!

Oh--and the crosshatch brush I used for the fields can be found here: http://soulspoison.deviantart.com/ar...shes-437173696

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoldenfieldsCG2.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	76829

UPDATED MAP BELOW!!
    Last edited by Coreyartus; 10-18-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Good map with original colors. I particularly like how you did the woods and fields.
    Just my two cents : it would have been better to use an effect or blend with the texture the walls and rivers, and every labels are good and easy to read except "the orchards".

Excellent advice, Ilanthar! I think I'm going to go back and modify things--I found a typo of all things (aquaduct is spelled "aqueduct") so I have to fix that anyway. I might as well add a texture to the walls and rivers while I'm in the original file. Thank-you!!

Fixing "The Orchard" text and such--it's those little things that make a HUGE difference. I'll jump on 'em.

Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoldenfieldsCG3.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	76851

Okay, I took your advice, Ilanthar, and added the same background texture of the grasslands to the walls, rivers, and roads. It's a Parchment texture, and you're right--it unifies things nicely!! Thanks so much for the awesome observation!

Really nice map. Such a small change can make a big difference!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

You're welcome Coreyartus! I'm glad to help, and your map is just fine now .