Thread: Historic map: Charente-Maritime during the Roman Empire

Default Historic map: Charente-Maritime during the Roman Empire

Hello everyone!
    Sometimes i have the chance to realise really fun maps for work
    On that one i was supposed to map my territory 2000 years ago during the roman age. A part of the job was to work with historic sources to find the main cities and roads at that time.
    The map is supposed to illustrate an exposition for the local museum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fond_romain_.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	76637

I like a lot the ideas and color choices. Some elements are a bit pixellated though (not necessarily a problem though, depending of the final size), and I don't fully understand the roads : sometimes passing over rivers, sometimes not.

Nice job love the colors, icons and border. The river text could have been either a little smaller or off the river slightly. I agree with Ilanthar on the roads, they look funny under the water, aqueducts maybe?, if so a little structure would help. Sylev D'argenson gets a little lost, probably could have been smaller and more contrast, Love the forests, grasses could have been smaller in relationship to the forests. Wish I could do stuff like this for work.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i didnt see those little problems with roads and rivers, i'll try to fix that and the issues with font readability. The map is supposed to be printed in A4 so it's quite small and i hope the bad things won't be to noticable ^^

This is a really nice map and I'm sure it'll be appreciated at the museum. If I had to nitpick anything, it would be the ripples off the coastline. Some of them are quite angular, and I feel they'd look nicer and more natural if they could be smoothed out a little. That's a small niggle though. I like it a lot.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is a really nice map and I'm sure it'll be appreciated at the museum. If I had to nitpick anything, it would be the ripples off the coastline. Some of them are quite angular, and I feel they'd look nicer and more natural if they could be smoothed out a little. That's a small niggle though. I like it a lot.
    Thanks ChickPea, and i totally agree with the ripples, in fact it was the first thing i reworked on my 2nd update, i feel they were too angular too, so i add a bit of blur.
    (sorry i know it's a finished map forum but they make me change some stuff after it was supposed to be finished)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fond_romain_.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	76765