Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP, map for a novel.

Wip WIP, map for a novel.

Here is a map for a novel I am working on. I'm doing it in color, though it will be printed black and white. They wanted and paid extra for color, so they could put it on their website in color.

The text is just placement right now. It needs work and tweaking.

I honestly can't tell you much about this world, as I didn't get to read the manuscript.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-First World.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	76734

Banned User

Nice map, Tim. Is "Straight" deliberately misspelled in Storm Straight? The water passage is a strait

All the elements you have so far in the map are great, but those mountains – oh gosh – they are amazing. The only thing I dislike about what you have so far is the water. The colors are slightly too intense for my taste.

Would love to see how this comes out in print when it's done

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Nice map, Tim. Is "Straight" deliberately misspelled in Storm Straight? The water passage is a strait
    Oh, probably it should be strait, and not straight. I think that's how the author spelled it, but i will double check with him. He's seen plenty of rought drafts and didn't say anything, but i will make a point to say, HEY.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    All the elements you have so far in the map are great, but those mountains – oh gosh – they are amazing. The only thing I dislike about what you have so far is the water. The colors are slightly too intense for my taste.

Would love to see how this comes out in print when it's done

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    True. Everything can be changed, with how I work. I'm not sold 100% on everything yet.

For example, before I finish, I might add some ways to unify it with with color levels.

Name:	Screenshot (20).png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	76736

Name:	Screenshot (21).png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	76737

Name:	Screenshot (22).png 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	76738

Beautiful mountains and forests. The rivers through the forest look a little funny, running on top of them, maybe cut through the forest. Land color and textures nice. Type does need work. Will probably need to put a 1-2pt stroke around the mountain text and maybe an outer glow so they can be seen., looks like different sizes on them too. I like the size of the city text and Wilds. Should the ICY Veil be treated same style as the mountains. Try to simplify the number of sizes and treatment of text. The Shield Islands should probably be rotated 180 degrees. Nice job, the client should be happy, would love to see the black and white version.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Beautiful mountains and forests. The rivers through the forest look a little funny, running on top of them, maybe cut through the forest. Land color and textures nice. Type does need work. Will probably need to put a 1-2pt stroke around the mountain text and maybe an outer glow so they can be seen., looks like different sizes on them too. I like the size of the city text and Wilds. Should the ICY Veil be treated same style as the mountains. Try to simplify the number of sizes and treatment of text. The Shield Islands should probably be rotated 180 degrees. Nice job, the client should be happy, would love to see the black and white version.
    You know i went back and looked at the text the author provided for me, and I cut and pasted as he gave, not really thinking. I will point that out to him and the strait/straight thing.

I'm not sure about doing a cut out of the forest for the rivers. I've just never been keen on that. So it's a personal choice.

As for different text size, they represent a hierarchy. But all will change, as I finish the details. I will probably even change the fonts. I'm getting tired of these, I've used them a lot on maps. All text gets placed in the beginning to get locations and such right. It's the last thing I adjust.

Blog Entries

This looks very nice! I'm quite fond of the main font you used in the first image (the one you used for "The Icy Veil" for example)... mind sharing what it's called?
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast