Thread: Savion di Darastrix

Map Savion di Darastrix

This is a map I have been working on for the last ten days or so. It was an unpaid request here on the forum so I took it since it gives me perfect opportunity to get better and try out different things without also having to think up a world.(and drawing just some random land seems weird to me ) Since I got my Wacom tablet I've been having loads of issues with drawing in GIMP so I made this map in Krita. As much as drawing goes it is soo much better than GIMP in my opinion. But when it comes to borders and final touches it still lacks something.(or I just need to spend more time with it) For lettering I did use inkscape and GIMP since this i can do with a mouse and with ease.

Would like to get some feedback on the map if possible. Am not very satisfied with the town symbols I made but spent way too much time on it and at one point I had to decide on something. Also border of a map is something I cant do properly yet and am trying to learn how to make my own patterns that look nice in Krita. (side note: I spent some time searching but couldn't find a stroke selection option) So if anyone has some tips for that they are very welcome to share them with me

The two large landmasses are unknown land and even though it looks a bit weird that is how they are depicted. (could have maybe made the disappear into background color though...) Also had to make it smaller due to the upload size so if something looks a bit pixely that is the reason.

Anyway here is the map. Hope you guys like it.

Cheers,
    Barek

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saryx_finished_small.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	77140
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Is it unfinished on purpose? Or are those lands supposed to be there as they are (uncharted).
    If they are supposed to be left uncharted, I don't think you needed so much of it, as it makes the map look unfinished.

Overall, colors are well picked and the linework is great. To my taste, the transitions are too rough. Plains to swamps, mountains to anything else, should be dealt with greater care. But, no matter what, for a free commission, it's a nice bargain

Congrats!
    (And Rep points for the very nice gesture of taking a free commission)

Yes they are uncharted and this is how the shape of the original drawing looked like so I didn't want to change it much. (but I do agree it makes it look unfinished..maybe it will be filled one day)

Thank you for the nice comments, linework in Krita is really a joy to do And yes I agree for the rough transitions but this was my first full colored/painted map of a large region so I still need to learn how to make a nice transition..advice is welcome

And thank you for the rep, as I said in the first post it is nice working like this when I map someones world as an exercise so it is a win-win situation (they get an ok-ish map, I get some drawing xp )

Cheers,
    Barek

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    And thank you for the rep, as I said in the first post it is nice working like this when I map someones world as an exercise so it is a win-win situation (they get an ok-ish map, I get some drawing xp )
    I hit the like button...erm, well, it's not there anymore but still

As for the uncharted lands, maybe you could at least put some labels "uncharted lands" or "unknown lands" ? That would make more sense when seeing these empty parts of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    As for the uncharted lands, maybe you could at least put some labels "uncharted lands" or "unknown lands" ? That would make more sense when seeing these empty parts of the map.
    That was actually my original idea but I forgot to do it in the end Will maybe add it if I will work on it in the future.

Though I agree about the empty lands filling too much the map, and the transitions might be too abrupt, it still looks very nice. I like very much: the color palette, the water, the mountains, the plains and forests and the labelling.

What font is that? It looks very nice.

Perhaps though, the borders and the title box are not too fitting with the style of the map, but you are aware of that.

So with a few small changes you could even get a better version of it, not bad at all.

Well done.
    Last edited by groovey; 11-06-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling

THank you Groovey I am also really happy how the water turned out so it is nice to hear that it isnt just my imagination

The font is MeathFLF, you can find it online on multiple places.

Thank you for the comments.

Cheers,
    Barek