Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fb and Twitter - suggestions for CG

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Based purely on anecdotal evidence (a guy told me he'd read it on the internet), Facebook is indeed becoming an older person's venue. Which is not a bad thing. I mean, I'm pretty old It's also great for arranging events (such as challenges) and giving me notifications about such events.

At the same time I was being told that Facebook is for old people, I was told that "all the kids" use Instagram and Twitter. I've been using Twitter more recently but I almost never use Instagram. Its focus on images seems like a natural fit for maps, but from what I remember it's a lot of images of artistically plated breakfasts.

I also use G+ a lot. There's a Cartographers Guild community there too and the last update was in November 2014 when the server was down. G+ has several other mapping communities that I know of and I haven't really explored more than two.

TL;DR Both Facebook and Twitter seem like good choices. I'll use Twitter more but my phone will always tell me when CG does something on Facebook and I can go check it out. Put CG events on Facebook.

cheers,
    Meshon

I sporadically use facebook but I find it really useful to keep in touch with people and to be updated with events. I myself tend to struggle with social network innovations and so I really can’t catch up with this new other social networks: I have a twitter account but never used it. I plan to have one day an instagram account but I don’t have one at the moment.

Personally, I’d appreciate if the guild’s facebook page was regularly updated, and I also think that an updated fb page would attract people to this site. I too have read somewhere that new generations are shunning facebook, but I must say that at least in Italy, it's still massively used by people of all ages (however, speaking of social network, we are at least some years behind the USA, so maybe this new trend will just happen in some years).
    Anyway, as I said, I would find useful a regular update of the fb page.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Based purely on anecdotal evidence (a guy told me he'd read it on the internet), Facebook is indeed becoming an older person's venue.

At the same time I was being told that Facebook is for old people, I was told that "all the kids" use Instagram and Twitter.
    Young people gravitated towards Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Periscope these days.

But Facebook is the main avenue currently and that's what we're looking for currently...juice amounts of newb...errr, I mean people ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It sounds like I took control of the black sheep of the social media bunch.
    Yes...yes, you did good sir.

BUT it's also the one that connects all types of users. Aaaaaaaall types.

That said, things I'd like to see in my fb feed and/or that I think could get interest of people:

- Contest Winners for all Challenges (So I haz purtty maps in mah fb of all sortz of stufzz);
    - Quick design tips (1 paragraph tops of "A quick and neat way of doing X thing in PS is going to Z menu, Y option and doing W. It can be applied like seen in the map that follows!";
    - Some "freebies" as bait ("Hey! Here's a hex dungeon map to use with your group in your next GURPS/Warhammer session, courtesy of Cartographer's Guild!");
    - Resource tips ("The font "nomnomnomriff" was used in the map XYZ by WKF and praised by many, so here's the link to the source and tell us if you can make another great use of it!" ; "If you're looking for great patterns and textures, you can't miss www.somelinkhere.com! Go check their collection of textures and let us know if you use it in any of your work!");
    - Newbie cheesie hand-holding > Link a map of one of the many tutorials here and a disclaimer ("Wanna learn how to create awesome maps like the one below?! Check this step by step tutorial completely >>FREE<< at www.linktothetutorialpage.com")
    - Revival of old buried stuff (Sometimes I dig through very old stuff, like 2010- and got to see amazing maps...I like that and know it's being done)
    - More open ended tips that could apply to a broader audience (Layers tips, Masks, Channels, Actions...GIMP stuff, Python scripts...)
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Thank you all for the input.
    Meshon - I think there are plans to do more with G+. I haven't set up G+ yet for myself but did plan on that.
    So hopefully we can get some activity going there as well.

ChickPea has a lot of new content and updates on Twitter. I'm trying to get the right balance on FB.
    Too many seems to be regarded as spam. I've been trying some multi-map posts and some that mix info updates with map posts.
    We've gotten a decent number of new people watching the FB page so it seems like that is being appreciated so far.

TK - I know that ChickPea has already started to post some of that type of content on twitter.
    It's going to take some time for me to get the right flow of things on FB but those are all great suggestions and I will try to work those in.
    Twitter will still have more of that as ChickPea is able to do more posts in a day than I can on FB.
    As it is rignt now I seem to be able to get away with 2-3 posts per day without people feeling like I'm spamming them, if they're spread out through the day.

I encourage anyone to post here with links or things that they would like to see posted or shared.
    I check through here regularly, though I did forget to subscribe to this thread initially. Thanks all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123