Thread: Gear City / Plate One

Wip Gear City / Plate One

Hi, i have know this forum across the work of Hugo Solis in Deviantart. In concrete this map http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=15779 and my mind started to go crazy.

My project is to build a city based in gears, big gears. Really crazy bastard big gears. Specific 3 gears that rotate between them, and u can walk across them only when the streets coincide. Yeah, im sure the idea is something strange, but well, my mind is so too :p

This is my first sketch to the idea. I know it must have a lot of failures, so i would want advises about them. How to improve my city, with an aesthetic similar to steampunk. Well, here is my bastard. I hope it can grow here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear_city_concept_by_turilly-d9f93u0.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	77156

Thanks in advance.

A fast evolution. I have introduced a river in the center, to get a clear frontier between the neighborhoods. In addition i have started to differentiate buildings, green parks, main roads,...

Name:	gear_city_concept_evo_by_turilly-d9fd3ki.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	77178

I like this a lot, been thinking about this very thing for a long while myself but have never gotten around to it. Keep it going!

Clever idea, Turilly! Welcome to the Guild - such an interesting start deserves a bit of reputation for boldness and as thanks for starting out with a good contribution.

You mention three gears... If you picture them interlocking at three points like a triangle you'll have trouble - they'll lock up and not move. If they touch only at two points, motion will work. Or other, smaller gears could be in between some of the big ones, to create a working gear train. Do you imagine them all on one level, or overlapping?

Thanks for the cheering.

My intention is three gears, but with other gear in the middle of each one. So we are going to link the gears at different level, over big axis of stone. And each gear rotates at different speed, so we will get a gear with 1 week rotation, other with 1 month, and other with 1 year. Better than words, an image.

The question is get some kind of folding stairs between the teeths of gears, so u can get the different lvls. And im getting a really crazy idea for the water... :p Maybe impossible, maybe superb.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

Really interesting and clever. I'm really interested to see more of this project!

This would work well for the D&D plane of mechanus, which is made mostly of gears, as far as I remember.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a.coldyham View Post
    This would work well for the D&D plane of mechanus, which is made mostly of gears, as far as I remember.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
    You´re right, thats Mechanus. A lovely neutral plane.

Sorry for the lack of updating, but the work this week has been tough.

I am fighting with the links between wheels, mainly because I want there to be a network of shared water between all levels. So to clean the mind, I'm seeing what style could use better city. I leave a few pictures and see what think. I'm between a Victorian style, or go to something more futuristic. Anyway, hope this week get the three plates, even at outline level. See u dudes.

Name:	plaza2_by_turilly-d9h6vb4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	77537

Name:	terminal_by_turilly-d9erg7l.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	77538