Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov Lite Challenge: The Mengkong River

A Staples or Kinkos or similar store should be able to scan the final map for you and copy it onto a flash drive.

Map is looking good.

This is looking good, like the way you cut the river or overlapped it some with trees, nice job, looking forward to seeing this come together. Love the side drawings and regional maps. This could take some time, but it's worth it, nice job, keep it going!

Wow, this is fantastic!! Those little drawings in the sidebar are incredible. And I'm *loving* your story. Keep posting more, if you have time.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

There may come a time when I have drawn enough stuff that things will start to look like I want them to. Until then, I'll keep doing this! I did a little more detailing, drew in the cliffs, and got the basics of the compass rose, er… dragon. Plus finally settled on a picture of Porto Sardis.

More story:

Valenzi Outpost
    I do not wish to linger here. We were able to resupply, but at exorbitant rates. No supply ships have come for some time and the people are growing worried. And desperate. Most of the inhabitants are mercenaries, members of various companies here to seek treasure, but they are starting to realize they are stranded. There are also a number of locals, people who call this coast home, though apparently they’ve been disappearing into the jungle in droves as the trade dries up. Asking after Captain Vessazi evoked a variety of responses; some of the mercenaries see him as a good luck charm, bringing wealth and fame to all who serve under him. Others mutter that he is a devil.
    Apparently the mouth of the river we seek is held by hostile forces. Though most of the mercenaries I’ve spoken to lose interest when they hear that we are heading into the jungle, I have retained a small company who say they can take the beach head. Their leader, Fiero, requires only a bit of coin… and title to the river mouth. He seems to believe I am operating under the direct authority of our deceased monarch…

At Mengkong Quay
    We put the mercenaries ashore in the middle of the night a mile or so up the coast. They seem to have no fear of the darkness and shadows. We are awaiting their signal that the coast is clear. I will admit that I am glad to have them off my ship. They are grim, strange men, and often speak to one another in a language I have never heard. Two days travel with them was enough. If they are able to accomplish what they say and allow us passage to the river I will be happy not to see them again.

Mengkong Quay, the Demon’s Mouth
    True to his word, Fiero and his sellswords were able to secure the river mouth. Just past dawn we saw a column of smoke and sailed ahead through the morning fog. The place looked like a village, though Fiero was disinclined to let us come ashore, reminding me of my promise to give him ownership of the place. From what I could see the fuel for his signal fire was a pile of bodies, and I spotted three of his cadre vanishing into the jungle mist with a half-dozen pale and shuffling prisoners. I am entirely uncertain what sort of resistance Fiero and his crew faced here, and I am certain there is more to this than I was told. It occurs to me that we will have to pass this way again but I do not think we will stop here when we return from whatever adventure awaits us up the river.

I think there's three or four more vignettes to do, a panorama at the bottom, finish the dragon and then… trees. Filling in lots of trees.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mengkong-River.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	490.9 KB 
ID:	77318

cheers,
    Meshon

That Porto Sardis dude at the top left is a bit scary....

Love the story and love how the drawing is coming together. Do you think you might colour it, or will it be line art only?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    That Porto Sardis dude at the top left is a bit scary....

Love the story and love how the drawing is coming together. Do you think you might colour it, or will it be line art only?
    Somewhere in my story notes there was a carnival in Porto Sardis, which I imagined to be something like the Carnival of Venice. I was thinking about "civilization" as the starting point for the journey, and I wanted it to be weird, decadent civilization. Unfortunately I think he's scary less for the mask and more for my complete lack of figure drawing practice. Mind you, now I have a little more practice!

I think I'd like to colour it at some point, but not this challenge. I don't have the skills or equipment to do it by hand and I'll need a good scan of it to do out digitally. But I'd definitely like to colour it one day.

Thanks for commenting!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I hope you do manage to colour it at some point down the line. I think it would look amazing! But yeah, obviously time's beginning to be a factor for the challenge.

Looking forward to your next update.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is really great stuff, Meshon. The little call-out boxes really give it a nice sense of atmosphere. I'm waiting to see Archmage Kurtz stumble out of the jungle.

Taking a break from tightly grasping a pen in order to tightly grasp a wooden spoon and mix dough isn't all that effective at relieving arm strain. On the upside I have banana bread.

It's getting pretty close. I finally erased all the pencil (I think) so I can get an idea of what this map really looks like. It's getting pretty close. One more inset map, and then the panorama at the bottom. I wasn't totally sure until now what it was going to be, but it's going to be the Timeless City. It looks great in my head! And I have to figure out what the dragon is sitting on. I can imagine a hoard of treasure but that may become some kind of flagstones. I'm not sure I'll be able to convincingly draw a pile of coins. We'll see. Still a day left

More story, if you like such things:

Attack from the Mist
    We have been attacked, though I have no idea who the attackers were. We had just dropped anchor at a narrows in order to wait for the mist to clear before navigating the tight quarters. Without warning a desultory volley of arrows launched out of the fog on the north bank and fell among us across the deck. One took me full in the chest but to my surprise I was uninjured. The arrow had no strength behind it, nor did it have a head, consisting only of a slightly sharpened and feathered shaft. More curious than threatened I sought to catch a glimpse of our foes. Then a spear came sailing out of the trees and pinned Jezzo to the mast. I ordered return fire with the crossbows. After a few moments of firing blindly into the jungle’s edge the arrows ceases and I spotted a few pale figures before they disappeared into the deeper shadows under the canopy. We wrapped Jezzo’s corpse and sent him over the side. The crew is wary now, and wants vengeance.

Casa Mezzo
    For the most part the river shows no signs of habitation, human or otherwise. Since the attack I am reluctant to call a stop for hunting, since I have no idea what awaits us beyond the dark line of trees. Bezanti is singularly unhelpful; he mumbles about the “deathless,” and mentions the “timeless ones,” but has little else to say. He is looking better than when I first met him, it seems the humid air that enervates the rest of us has done him some good. And now another venerable ancient has joined our crew.
    Casa Mezzo is, or rather was, a stopping point for the Commissioned Companies who explore this area for riches. I was expecting to resupply and perhaps gain some information about the area, my own guide being somewhat deficient. According to Bezanti there were some families living here as well; it was a kind of neutral ground where companies could trade, gather news, and find at least the rudiments of civilization.Where all that has gone now, I cannot say.
    When we arrived, the place seemed abandoned. The road leading back toward the coast was largely overgrown, while the road leading towards the interior highlands was blocked by a rockfall not far outside the town. Many of the wooden buildings had collapsed but as we investigated a larger stone structure, a sort of keep, we found the sole inhabitant of the village. She is delusional, having lost most of her memory. She acts as though she is a child, and has asked us several times if her parents will be back soon. She says she was hiding from the “pale things that come in the mist.” The building she occupied must have been a storehouse. We’ve retrieved a reasonable quantity of dried goods. Of course we will bring her along, it would be cruel to leave her here alone.

Drifting Wreckage
    The banks of the river are growing steeper as we move deeper into the jungles, and we must take extra care now to avoid the rocky cliffs when the river narrows. I am not sure how much longer we will be able to sail the river, though Bezanti claims we will get “far enough.” We shall see what his optimism comes to. This morning as we lay at anchor the lookout’s call alerted us to a mass of drifting debris. Fortunately it drifted wide of our ship and posed no danger to us. The wreckage was a mass of bamboo lashed together that looked like it had burned. My spyglass revealed two bodies caught within the wreckage. They looked to be soldiers, members of one of the Commissioned Companies most likely. I am almost surprised we haven’t seen more signs of them. I understood that there were at least a half-dozen small armies performing the King’s work here, not counting the smaller outfits. Though there were crowds of mercenaries in Valenzi, I had expected to see more signs of life. We shall carry on and perhaps we will discover where those two poor souls were travelling from.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mengkong-River.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	753.7 KB 
ID:	77372

It's been great drawing in ink. It forces me to just keep going, rather than endlessly playing with settings and layers and things. I do so love playing with settings and things though! I think I would have made the 'N' less dark if I had a do-over, it kind of makes the dragon tongue less prominent and spoils the overall effect of the Dragoncompass. I think it would have been better to fill it with lines like I did with the map title. Anyway. Onwards!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Excellent Meshon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast