Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eokhran - fantasy map commission

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Eokhran - fantasy map commission

Hey all,

Here's a private commission I've done lately. Decorative elements "a la J.Blando" were a request from the client.

Hope you guys will like it. As usual, feel freeto rate, rep or run away

© M.PLASSE 2015 - All rights reserved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eokhran.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	77184

Oh wow, so simple yet so beautiful. Did you use a marble tile background? Also the circular brush strokes in the sea at the map corners (particularly lower right corner) are just great
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Lovely work Max. I really like the font you used too.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Oh this is a good one, great work! Amongst your better maps in a while I think. I really like your more "subtle style", the whole less is more really speaks to me. And this is a prime example of that I think. No intense forests or hills, simplistic and yet refined small mountains that perfectly conveys the scale. Impeccable labeling, and a simple, yet very evocative color scheme. This kind of style serves better both as being informative while still remaining very artistic. Reminds me of the Selvarin map, which still is amongst my favorites in your portfolio. Again, great work!

May I ask what kind of purpose the client will use the map for? Any chance to see a picture of a 'printed' version?

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Guild Journeyer

Oh my, I love the color balance here. Great choice of font as well, so fitting.

Rep!

Really nice work Max.
    Those round elements look great.
    And this is really well balanced, with the slight exception of the visual weight of the title as opposed to the bottom right corner.
    Does not detract from its attractiveness though.

Really stunning. The decorations are spot on but don't steal the focus from the most important. You must have happy clients

Thank you very much guys !

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Oh wow, so simple yet so beautiful. Did you use a marble tile background? Also the circular brush strokes in the sea at the map corners (particularly lower right corner) are just great
    Actually it's a very stained and torn paper texture but the way i used it, but now you're saying it, yea it looks like a marble thingie

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Oh this is a good one, great work! Amongst your better maps in a while I think. I really like your more "subtle style", the whole less is more really speaks to me. And this is a prime example of that I think. No intense forests or hills, simplistic and yet refined small mountains that perfectly conveys the scale. Impeccable labeling, and a simple, yet very evocative color scheme. This kind of style serves better both as being informative while still remaining very artistic. Reminds me of the Selvarin map, which still is amongst my favorites in your portfolio. Again, great work!

May I ask what kind of purpose the client will use the map for? Any chance to see a picture of a 'printed' version?

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks much man ! Yea, the geographic map itself has very few elements and simplicity was indeed the key to convey the scale of it. You're probably rights that it brings some similarity with my Selvarin map (though I have to admit that I don't like looking at this old map that much now ) As far as I've understood, the client's planning to use it for his RPG so he'll likely print it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Really nice work Max.
    Those round elements look great.
    And this is really well balanced, with the slight exception of the visual weight of the title as opposed to the bottom right corner.
    Does not detract from its attractiveness though.
    I agree, the title is something that bothered me a bit. I'm not fully satisified on how it looks but I couldn't find any other satisfying options. A balancing stuff in the opposite bottom right corner would have worked indeed but I didn't want to overcrow the map with decoration and stuff since it already had a lot on it. Ah well, still some things to keep in mind for future works

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    Really stunning. The decorations are spot on but don't steal the focus from the most important. You must have happy clients
    hopefully they are Seriously, I think I'm pretty much lucky with my clients overall. Over the years I only got maybe 2-3 difficult clients, otherwise most of them are really nice and seem very pleased by their commissions. That's why I'm a happy map-maker

That's understandable.
    If you ever play around with it again, maybe try a more faded/transparent background behind the title text.
    The visual weight would be reduced while still keeping things mostly as they are.
    It still looks wonderful Max.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    If you ever play around with it again, maybe try a more faded/transparent background behind the title text.
    The visual weight would be reduced while still keeping things mostly as they are.
    Will try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast