Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP: Thränjök, an earth-like planet

@Pixie: That map is awesome! I will definitely use that along with Azelor's fixes when I retouch it. A clean version of the map is a great idea, I will attach it below. Thanks!

@Azelor: Wow. I really did have the polar currents messed up. Thank you for showing me what you meant, I will fix those tonight! And uh... yeah, looking at the pressure/elevation map with fresh eyes, I'm seeing how ridiculous my colour choices were. Sorry about that, and thank you for being patient with me!

Here is a "clean" version of the map, with some new mountains and hills.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thränjök - with mtns.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	77381

This was my first time trying to do mountains, so let me know what you guys think of these outlines. I'm still trying to decide if the big range on the eastern continent is too much? It's supposed to be a Himalaya-like range and I wasn't entirely sure how to portray a region like that. It should probably also go a bit further East and not quite so far South. Now that I've started them, I'm excited to continue them and get the detail lines in there and do some colouring/shading on them.

And here are the NEW pressure maps with visible mountains (and hopefully less confusion than before)
    Winter (January) on the left, Summer (July) on the right. Blue = low pressure. Red = high pressure.

Name:	Thränjök w mtns - winter pressure winds.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	77385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thränjök w mtns - summer pressure winds.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	77386
    Last edited by Polkadot; 11-13-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added graticule to pressure maps

Although I don't have much time lately, I "used" your map to try out an idea I had brewing for a while. While experimenting is for my own benefit, I thought you would benefit as well from having a second opinion about those currents. Mind that I am no expert but an interested hobbyist, so don't take my ideas as set in stone.

Here's my take on the likely surface currents on your planet (assuming earthlike winds, just like you did). The method for this was to use the pen tool to draw smooth curves with a near black brush. Then I made two copies of that layer and colorized them in blue and red. Deleting what wasn't "Cold Current" or "Warm Current" in those layers and setting the original near black layer to a medium opacity gave this result:

Name:	thranjok currents.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	866.0 KB 
ID:	77491

I didn't include arrows because I am lazy sometimes and because I assumed you can figure out the current direction pretty easily from what you've posted so far.
    The main differences are the northwest corner of the map and the small gyres in some corners of the southern hemisphere.

(on a side note, discussions about your planet would be made easier if the continents and seas get named)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123