Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Tablets

Default Regarding Tablets

I have a few questions regarding drawing tablets. This is mainly because I am thinking about buying one, but dont want to waist the money if I get a bad one or something.

Would you recommend a tablet for mapping, Why?
    What is a cheep yet still good tablet?
    How long dose it take to learn how to use the tablet concretely?
    What are problems you find when using a tablet?
    If I get a tablet, how long will it take for me to want to light it on fire and throw it off a cliff?

If you guys have any other suggestions about tablets let me know, I am really interested in them, but seeing how expensive they are I want to know what good tablets are.

1) Yes if you intend to draw freehand elements using a program that supports tablet pen pressure and various brush types. Also moreso if you intend to pursue sketching and drawing generally.
    2) Wacom are at the premium end of the market - mainly because their stuff is very good, trusted, and very reliable - but their bamboo tablets are the entry level models and not too expensive. Outside of that you will need to do research. I bought a cheap Trust tablet that was pretty good and I consistently hear good things about some monoprice tablets. The market IS catching up to wacom.
    3) Took me between two weeks to a month for my drawing brain to get used to a tablet. There are exercises that can help.
    4) I can't really think of anything specifically beside that initial getting used to it. You get the odd software issue? I don't miss paper. =P
    5) YMMV. Some people just don't like them even after getting used to them. Other than that it is just another drawing medium. It WON'T make you BETTER at drawing - you're still going to be drawing lines using your hand. That part is entirely on you.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Well, if you draw or paint at all then there is nothing like a tablet. If you are more into using textures and stamps with maybe some layer masks you can get by with a mouse.

There is a massive ongoing thread on this right here. You will probably find anything you could want to know.

In my opinion however drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a rock. I started out that way and was frustrated by not even coming close to what I could have done with a pencil and paper.

Summary of the above link: buy a Wacom tablet and you won't be sorry. The bamboo series are pretty cheap and a lot of folks here have used them. I personally bought the Intuos 4 large and probably only use about half of it because that's just how I draw so it is actually larger than I need. After a couple years I saved up and bought the Cintiq companion and while it's expensive, it's awesome.

It doesn't take much time to learn to use because its very much like using pencil or pen and paper except its a kind of like writing on glass but you get used to it quick.

The learning curve you will deal with is software. I started with gimp cuz its free and great although I now use photo shop. Having never done any art on a computer it was maddening trying to get what I wanted but with diligence, determination and lots of help from the folks around here I am able to pretty much make what I want.

I never wanted to beat my tablet but I've been close to ripping the computer out of the wall and spiking it into the ground... but hey, who hasn't?

I don't think you will be sorry getting a tablet and I think for less than 100.00 you can get an entry level bamboo.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yes the bamboo is great and I got mine for the equivalent of $70 - I take it to work with me (and leave it there most of the time). At home I use an Intuos 4 Medium. In my opinion it is the best computer peripheral I ever purchased - pushed me back into doing art and I just love it to bits.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Romeinoneday's Avatar

I got the bamboo. It's great! You should be able to get it for really cheap now days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bamboo, an intuos medium, and .... a Microsoft Surface 3. I like all of them, but the Surface be a full fledged computer in its own right is a joy to draw and sketch on. I owned a cheap one, I honestly dont remember what make it was, but it worked and was a great starter. They all have their good sides - I don't worry about dropping the bamboo for instance. I think you will be happy with whatever you buy, but as stated above the tablet it is the easy part, software is a bear. Try Autodesk sketchbook / pro, try Artrage, try Krita (Free/Open Source). Good luck!!

Just to be absolutely clear about what the folks are saying: if you can't draw it with a pencil and paper, getting a tablet won't help much. I have very little in the way of artistic ability and I have purchased a number of tablets over the years. I use them for a week or so and remember that I don't really have the ability to draw anything with it (the tablet is often useful for image editing and retouching, but I do so little of it that I don't want to sacrifice the desk space for it).

People have told me that using a tablet takes some getting used to if you're artistically-inclined because you have to look somewhere other than where you are drawing. If you can afford something like a Cintiq or other precision tablet then you might not have as much adjustment (the feel of a tablet as compared to paper is different and you need to get used to the different feedback). But those high-end toys are mightily expensive.

As others point out, software support is the critical factor. If you're just going to use something like CC3, then even the most basic digitizer or touch screen is sufficient. If you're using Photoshop or other fancy painting program, getting a pen with pressure and possibly angle controls would probably be worth it if you're fairly good with pens or brushes.

If you can, I recommend trying one at a store or a friend's place before buying one.

Thanks for the advice everyone, Im probably gonna get a bamboo tablet, but I when ever I look for it I can only find the pens, or at least on the wacom website. Where would you suggest buying it from, I live in australia so Amazon dosnt like me very much so I may not be able to get on from there.

Well these bamboos are all over the place in the states. I think you can even get one at Target so I'm surprised they are elusive there. Might reach out to some of our Aussie members. Maybe Arsheesh can help, I thinks he's down under. Strike that, he's in Seattle which is not gonna help... There must be a connection in my brain that puts Seattle in Australia but for the life of me I have no idea why. :-)

By the way, based on your name would you happen to be a Psychologist because that would be hilarious.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-07-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Just to be absolutely clear about what the folks are saying: if you can't draw it with a pencil and paper, getting a tablet won't help much. I have very little in the way of artistic ability and I have purchased a number of tablets over the years. I use them for a week or so and remember that I don't really have the ability to draw anything with it (the tablet is often useful for image editing and retouching, but I do so little of it that I don't want to sacrifice the desk space for it).
    I'm not so sure I agree with this. I am the only person in the history of the world to flunk Crayons 101, the least ability to draw anything in the world. I bought a tablet primarily to try drawing better coastlines and mountains.

To my surprise, it has improved my drawing of lots of things. Yes, it took some practice mechanically to touch and lift the pen properly, and it took a lot of getting used to looking somewhere other than where my hand was, but both things are getting easier. But the thread where I asked how to draw freehand mountains and got tons of great advice led to me trying drawing forests, and now some other things. If you look here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1445183410 I actually drew those Floating Island thingys in the center, something I would never even have attempted a year ago. If you look here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32109 the inset picture of Soul City is hand drawn (admittedly while looking at models for it).

I know for most of you who can draw, this looks pretty trivial, but for me, it borders on amazing. Without the tablet, I wouldn't have ever even considered trying. So I say, go for it, and even you Waldronate, if I can do it, anyone can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast