Thread: Hey guys!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

Default Hey guys!

Hey guys!

My name is Vinicius, I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and I am an old fantasy lover. 20 years ago (I was 13) I started a project called Eridia that was in my drawer all this time. I recently rediscovered and'm finally giving life and reviewing everything I wrote.

And now here I am trying to learn how to make a map that are here in front of me, drawn on several A4 sheets glued together.

I love the work and dedication of you and I hope to learn together.

Banned User

Hello Vinicius, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Hi, Vinicius - welcome! What era, or genre, or purpose is Eridia? Do you want maps to look as though characters in your world produced them, or do you want the map equivalent of the "all-knowing narrator" that some writers use?

Do your A4 sheets match your plans for the project, or does the 20-year gap make you want to change direction?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Hi, Vinicius - welcome! What era, or genre, or purpose is Eridia? Do you want maps to look as though characters in your world produced them, or do you want the map equivalent of the "all-knowing narrator" that some writers use?

Do your A4 sheets match your plans for the project, or does the 20-year gap make you want to change direction?
    That's an interesting question.

I would like to keep the concept of scenario that I had planned, a cold world, but in the meantime it appears that this kind of world has become very common. So I do not know if there is still something really special to make a planet like this.

In 20 years I learned a lot and I read a lot of fantasy in general, so many aspects of what I drew not make any sense anymore. Must draw the planet geologically correct, astronomically correct ... and I had only thought of a continent, but we can not think of it in isolation. I need to take into account that there are several new tools to help me, who had not at that time: Wilbur, Fractal Terrains, Photoshop, Universe Sandbox, etc.

That said, I was a child and the best I could do was draw a lot of A4 sheets and use ink to draw something. I made a rough map in paint brush to guide me 10 years ago and wrote a lot about the scenario. This will guide me enough, but still, I need to take into account all these new knowledge.