Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zaradhum - WIP

Default Zaradhum - WIP

I'd like to here some critique and comments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_by_cyowari-d9e0dgx.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	77361

Banned User

Hi Ziuwari, Welcome to the Guild! And congratulations for posting a map with your first post

I like the colors of your map regions, and I think the shapes are good. The image is too small for me to see much detail for the rest.

The text needs a lot of work. Here are some things to consider:

The smaller labels are far too small to be readable.

The labels should be the same for each type (country, town, etc), so don't have one country label smaller than another. If you have a problem fitting them in, change the kerning to tighten them up. The angles are fine, but it's also best to arc the labels of one type the same, so if you arc some country labels, arc them all. If you leave the town labels straight, leave them all straight. This helps the reader know what labels go with what items.

Labels should not be partially visible, even if the country is. Put the full label in view.

Don't stretch labels out any more than necessary. Sarhal is too long, better to make it tighter and move it slightly above the islands. When you have colors like this, the color does the job of tying the parts together, so the label doesn't need to.

You have some unlabeled colored regions/countries at the top of the map. If you label one, label them all. Don't leave any without labels, even if they are just a small edge of the country.

There is a document on labeling that you might like to read here: http://www.mapgraphics.net/downloads...es_on_Maps.pdf

This is a nice start! I'll look forward to seeing where you take it

Thanks for your welcoming comment! And also thanks for the helping critique.

As for the labeling....yeah, i considered most of what you wrote and i'm on it.
    The Cities and Towns are all labeled straight. I rework the labeling of the countries in some time and i cut out some of the labeling in the backround.
    The size of the Original is much bigger, but there is the problem with the size of the data
    The missing nation-names come from cutting the original. i was in quite a rush...

I worked on this "world" for the last ten years and i thought i should put it somewhere to get thoughtful comments

And also thanks for the labeling document!

Banned User

OK, then I'll look forward to seeing it after you fix up all the missing stuff and make the labeling better The rest looks pretty good

Hi Zyowari. I had a look at the collection of maps you have at deviantart. It looks like you've put a whole lot of work and kept a prolonged effort. I wish you would share more of it with us.

As for this map, I think you are overusing transparency and that makes the map too busy / difficult to read. This is the only comment I can add to Chick's excellent post.

Yeah.....*chuckle* i know ^^ but except for that.....you would'nt believe whats in the map-folder on my hard-drive....
    and of course i've working on it. this and the original behind this cut-out were just rushed-through examples
    erm.....and sorry for my mediocre english

So, here is another attemt. Just some minor changes and the complete, whole world. And please try and don't mind that i've didn't change the labeling

Name:	88a35c8303acda559c4a9eb848f0f812-d9gid2r.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	7.67 MB 
ID:	77377

Now i've updated most parts of my map. and i know that i haven't changed all of it based on the critique - but i think it still looks better than before. except for the overload of cities and their names
    i just got a link for the moment because i didn't look at the size of the map....

http://orig12.deviantart.net/03f1/f/...ca-d9h34qu.jpg

So, another updated one. Just some details.

Name:	zaradhum___1914___latest_version__7__dec_2015_by_cyowari-d9k3i22.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	9.30 MB 
ID:	78278

I've made a new attempt on my maps - unfortunately i can just put the link to my deviantart one up here. but i'll hurry i try to upload one here too.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/cd6d/f/...ri-d9q59cp.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast