Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antesia

Banned User

Default Antesia

Antesia is a commissioned map, created for a novel Sword of the Perithia, part of an upcoming series The Age of Ash.

I was very excited to do this map for Andrenik Sergoyan, author of A Lion for Lambs, and the Sword of the Perithia to be published about October.

http://andrenikysergoyan.weebly.com/#/

Andre blogged the development of the map, posting drafts along the way, which was fun to see.

http://andrenikysergoyan.weebly.com/...-sketches.html

This map is also a bit special to me because it contains in the corner decorations some small circular symbols that relate to the story which were drawn by our own J.Edward as part of some other artwork for the book.

Much fun!!

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antesia by Cornelia Yoder.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	75500

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice work. I like the general layout of this land; sometimes a good map is all it takes to make me buy a book, and you may have succeeded with this one.

One thing I found strange (that I know wasn't your call) is that the lands closest to the capital, and therefore I'd assume the most densely populated, are called 'The Hinterlands'. I thought that term was traditionally used for mostly uncharted or unexplored regions.

I was just thinking the same thing Diamond, as that's the only way I've heard "hinterlands" used before, and I had to go look it up. Apparently it also means: an area surrounding a town or port and served by it. Which fits very well in that sense.

I also agree with the rest of Diamond's comments. This is a good map Cornelia. Nice job!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

I didn't choose the name, but I have always used the term Hinterlands to mean the outlying areas that are lesser known or less populated or more primitive or isolated. I can only assume something like that is what the author wants to convey to the readers.

And thank you Chashio and Diamond for your very nice comments!

What she didn't tell you is that her map is likely going to be on the back cover of the book. A bit modified to fit the color scheme I think.
    I'm trying desperately to complete some contract work by a tight deadline and then I'll be getting on to that cover work.
    chick should be proud.
    PS chick - saw the email, still working. My hands are killing me. Too much drawing.

I agree with Diamond about the landshapes. Very cool. And like him, sometimes all it takes to sell me on a book is a good map
    I like the mountain and tree symbols.

The only thing that i am not so fond of (which is often a problem with black and white maps) is that the distinction between land and water is very weak here...so it is hard "to see the map", so to speak. Maybe make the continental-outlines a bit darker? Or use wave-patterns for the sea or something similar?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I agree with Diamond about the landshapes. Very cool. And like him, sometimes all it takes to sell me on a book is a good map
    I like the mountain and tree symbols.
    Thank you Eilathen! The mountains are brushes by our very own Quabbe right here on CG. The trees are brushes from a file named "trees_by_SR" which I think is Star Raven, but not sure and can't find them again.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Hi Chick, I'm very intrigued about the Glass Mountain. If it's not a spoiler for your client, what is it?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Konraw View Post
    Hi Chick, I'm very intrigued about the Glass Mountain. If it's not a spoiler for your client, what is it?
    It's a glacier-like mountain of ice shards pushing down from the north and melting into the Lakelands.

Banned User

Andre Sergoyan's novel has just been published and is available in paperback on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/151..._prd_ttl_sol_0 ) and as ebook on Kindle. Andre sent me this description of the story.

The first in an epic series, The Age of Ash follows the lives of four unlikely
    heroes who’s fates are intertwined by destiny as they live out the final
    dark days of their kingdom. A young fisherman discovers a dangerous truth that
    will forever change him and the powerful religion their nation is built upon. A
    forbidden lover to the head of the mighty Aegantine Church must find the courage
    to reveal a family secret that could lead to her ruin, though perhaps the
    salvation of their kingdom. A young girl is separated from her father when she
    manages to escape capture by an encroaching elven army, and finds herself as the
    only one capable of warning the king of the coming threat. And her father,
    prisoner to the evils she had escaped, must find himself freedom in order to
    reunite with his child, and in the process discovers the unbelievable truth
    surrounding the gods they serve.

His original web posting of the mapmaking process, http://andrenikysergoyan.weebly.com/...r-artwork.html , has been great for me to show others how a map gets made for a novel.

Our own J.Edward also has some cover art on the book, http://andrenikysergoyan.weebly.com/...-now-on-amazon ! And if you didn't notice, four of John's drawings were incorporated into the corner decorations of the map.

Andre says he will send me an autographed copy, so when I finally get to see it, I'll post a picture of the map in the book here. It will be very exciting to see one of my maps in actual print!
    Last edited by Chick; 11-06-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast