Thread: WIP: River City - Modern urban street map design

Wip WIP: River City - Modern urban street map design

This 'River City' project is a continuation of a design I came up with for the Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge. I wasn't happy with how that turned out, but I liked the general idea of an industrial city with a significant waterway network.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River-City.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	77424

I plan to turn this into a fairly detailed city map. I will be using Affinity Designer to create a contemporary commercial-style map. I'm specifically thinking of the A-Z Maps we have in the UK. I'll develop my own style, but this is what I'm shooing for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River City WIP 001.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	77423

This is my first time attempting something like this so I'm going to have to figure out a lot of stuff, starting with the scale. I'm thinking that what I've drawn will represents an area of about 8km x 5km. This will allow me to show some detail. I don't envision this as an entire city, just the center.

I have more ideas for the lore behind this city, but I'll talk about that when I post more.

Cool! I'm glad you're continuing with this. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Very interesting!
    I like so much modern style maps, and your layout reminds me the River Thames, Isle of Dogs and Greenwich Peninsula in London!
    I agree with ChickPea.