Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New map in process

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have noticed that. I have about 500 buildings in it right now, and I have to make sure that I save it often because it has crashed a couple of times. I may end up giving up on CC3 and just doing the whole thing in Photoshop. It is a lot easier to add the buildings in CC3 though, and they look pretty good.

A little bit of an update. I have a lot of the Northeastern portion of the city done in CC3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calanara CD3.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	825.6 KB 
ID:	25261  

This is turning into a fine city. I really like those big cities
    One comment: I think the docks in the War Harbor might need an additional effect, to give the impression they have some height?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Another updated. I have the southern part of the city in. I need to redo the streets because the effect isn't working as well as I would like, but I will do that later.

As far as the wharfs are concerned, I have been planning to do something with them, but I just haven't figured out what I want to do yet, but they do need a little "something".

I am also starting to run into some file size issues. I tried to save the whole map as a jpg, but if I have the resolution very high, then it is freezing up and crashing. I will probably end up saving it in sections and pasting it together, or using some sort of image print driver.

Name:	Calanara CD3.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	608.0 KB 
ID:	25746  

I enjoy every update you post landorl! I think granaries is spelled with one 'n'.
    CC3 is an enigma: it often says "no response" in the title bar, but is still working (and sometimes not). What resolution do you call very high?

I have been trying 3200x2400 which isn't huge. I've done that with other maps, but I think it is a combination of the map itself being quite large with all of the buildings that are in the map, and then with the fairly big conversion, I just think that the whole thing ends up being too much. I have gotten it to work, but not with the effects turned on.

I had the same problem with my last city map. Each time I turned on the effects and tried to export it, CC3 crashed mostly in the last rendering pass. By accident I figured out that I don't have to switch to other tasks (even the explorer). Better to not even move the mouse . With this method I managed to export a 6000²px map, even when CC3 send the no response message. (btw, always make backups with large maps before the file gets corrupt).
    Edit: What are the dimensions of the imported background pic?

The file is pretty big. As far as I can tell, you can only use a BMP for the background. The file is 5,100 x 3300 pixels, and is 48MB in size.

Here is the most recent update. I figured out that if I print it using a PDF printer (PDF995), I can then convert it to a JPG and it works fine that way. I was hoping to have this done by now, but I have been pretty busy with work. I think it will be done in another couple of days.

Name:	Calanara.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	25977  

Getting closer all of the time! I was out of town for a couple of weeks, so not a lot posted recently.

All of the buildings inside the city are finished, and I am putting in some fields and villages. I can almost smell the finish line!

Name:	Calanara.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	26756  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Lookin good, keep it up!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast