Thread: Hill Brushes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Hill Brushes

Hi, I don't often post! However I have just started creating my first really detailed map in gimp and I thought I could share some of the brushes I make as I go along.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hill Example.PDF 
Views:	250 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	77611

I have created them intentionally simple using two colours (black and dirty green) so they can be easily edited. If you want to change the hill colour, once you have placed any hills you want, in gimp select the 'select by colour tool' in the main tool box (first row), then click on the green colour of the hill (all of it on every hill will now be highlighted), then click on whatever colour you desire in the FG/BG colour dialog, then go to the edit menu, then click fill with fg colour tool.

To create them I hand drew, scanned, and then edited them a lot in gimp. It took longer than I thought.

A brush size over 72 pixels works best, under that you lose a lot of detail. Put the rate and flow (at the bottom of the brush toolbox) to maximum and you're good to go. Hard to get them smaller without quality drop but if someone knows how give me a buzz.

Planning on adding mountains, mesas, jungle, desert, forest (temperate/pine/coppiced), as well as swamp very shortly and a few bridges and forts also.

Please feel free to use them to your heart's content with no more than a thanks in my direction. I doubt anyone will use them commercially, but if you intend to please do ask first.

Working .gih file below - Add it into your gimp/share/gimp/2.0/brushes folder and you are good to go (may need to refresh your brushes once added). It will randomly alternate between the 6 images. I say 6 although I realise two look mighty similar, error in cutting and I went with it.

J Hill Brush.zip
    Last edited by Homestead; 11-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.