Thread: Laevus, the X-Ray Map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Map Laevus, the X-Ray Map

This is a "just for fun" map I threw together in a few hours. Building on the concept behind my Astro-Map Video Tutorial, I started with an x-ray image of a hand and used that as the basis for a height map. In order to make it look more like terrain, I did a lot of erosion effects in WILBUR, and in doing so I stumbled upon a way to make underwater topography that I really like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HandLand.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	77621

I think I'll keep playing with the ideas I tried in this map; they're opening some interesting possibilities.

"Underwater topography" is called bathymetry.

Very clever idea! There are probably lots of different kinds of imaging you could map to height in this fashion. It might be worth looking for imaging reference from med school courses, electron microscopes, and so forth.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

save the heightmap in wilbur as a 32 bit BT
    then GDAL can convert it to a 32 bit float tiff that many programs can use
    then the negative values ( under water) are saved .

for working with 32 bit data that is NOT !!! between 0 and 1 - this displays normal in most editors
    ( pixel values between 0.000000...1 and 0.999999...9 )

I like to use Nip2
    it has a slider for moving JUST the values that are displayed on the screen and dose NOT change the base image data
    -- VERY handy for VIEWING 16 bit and 32 bit data ( and can add a false color for viewing)
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    "Underwater topography" is called bathymetry.

Very clever idea! There are probably lots of different kinds of imaging you could map to height in this fashion. It might be worth looking for imaging reference from med school courses, electron microscopes, and so forth.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but my computer seems to think that bathymetry is some kind of a typo, and that angry red squiggly line under the word made me think I was misspelling it, hence "underwater topography." I guess I just need to have more confidence in myself and less faith in the machine.