Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge: Larb's commission - Umi No Toride

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

So pretty. I want to go to there.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Thanks xpian.
    Here's today's update. Ya know, if you're going to fail... fail big.
    Just noticed some discrepancies with my rocks on the right side - I'm missing some on the top down part.
    Not going to get upset about that... no, really I'm not. Perhaps I will have time to fix it.
    Still, so much left to do but I am really liking this piece and this challenge.

Larb - I'm really glad you asked for this. It's been a good challenge for me and I've already tried and learned some new stuff.
    Best part of the challenges really imo. Anyways, I tried a new thing for the region map in the top left.
    Some won't like it but it's staying. I might alter it if someone has a better suggestion though.

Still have a lot to do on the water and then more light and shadow on the top image. Mostly on the stone.
    May do some pavers on the lower image. And of course throw some dirt at these nice clean surfaces.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umi No Toride [working] 01b-004[L].jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	78187

Simply gorgeous. You are setting the bar high with this one J.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Beautiful. Perhaps add a scale for the territory? Oh, and do those interior plans (please )
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This map is fantastic and each update it keeps getting better. I simply love how you incorporated the inset and how the views perfectly flow from top-down to side-view!

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Simply gorgeous. You are setting the bar high with this one J.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I'm just doing my thing. This commission is really pushing me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Beautiful. Perhaps add a scale for the territory? Oh, and do those interior plans (please )
    I will look into that scale. I'm pretty close to starting those floor levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This map is fantastic and each update it keeps getting better. I simply love how you incorporated the inset and how the views perfectly flow from top-down to side-view!

-Dan
    Thanks Dan. Since this was for Larb and she had asked for that [perspec on top over top down] back when I was doing Sagemound I wanted to make sure it happened here.
    I was happy with how that inset worked out. That was what I wanted but didn't know just how I was going to do it when I started.

Another incremental update - still haven't gotten to that water yet. But i did get dirty all over the place.
    Made some little 'gate' symbols and the path flow up to the keep. Let me know if that works for you Larb.
    Should be starting on the interior levels tonight I hope. I'll finish all that before fixing rocks, water and shadows.
    Still need to mess with some colors related to symbols and text at some point.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Umi No Toride [working] 01c_01[L].jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	78228

Oh man, this is amazing! Every time I look at it I'm struck by something new that I overlooked the last time (not just the bits you've updated). Today I'm in admiration of your colour palette. It's so simple, just blues and greys, but it's so incredibly striking. Your pace of work is amazing too. This is just an incredible piece. Am in awe!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I was desperately going over this trying to find something to nitpick, and I think I've succeeded.

I like the mini-map in the corner, but the color scheme there is really counter-intuitive, with the blue being the land and the white the sea. Is is possible to just flip it around and move the cities etc to the opposite side? That would also allow you to move that mini-key up to the right of where the mini-map's land part is now; the key looks kind of cramped along the side to me.

Anyway, just a suggestion, and believe me, it took a while to find something to gripe about!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I was desperately going over this trying to find something to nitpick, and I think I've succeeded.

I like the mini-map in the corner, but the color scheme there is really counter-intuitive, with the blue being the land and the white the sea.
    I think it works like it is... though I am not sure just how you meant for him to "flip it" Diamond. If he makes the land white then it might read at first like a cloud in the sky, or if tan then a large outcropping of rock in the distance. That's just my opinion but you might have also meant something else?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Diamond - I think I understand what you're saying. I guess I had assumed that since U-N-Toride was out in the sea [known by the map] that people would make that association.
    Now that you've said it, I can sort of see what you are seeing. What Chashio said does speak to why I wouldn't want to change it.
    I will finish the interior levels and do the remaining water stuff before getting into that sort of edit, along with tweaking type and placement.
    My big challenge is always whether I can finish in time. So that's my agenda here, along with Larb's satisfaction with the commission.

This update has a lot done on the interior levels. Larb - were you wanting this to be furnished? And did you want to dictate what the rooms were to be for?
    Of my own accord... I wouldn't furnish unless I definitely had time before the challenge ends.
    Anyways, here's the most recent. I was messing with type but am not satisfied.
    I may have to do some custom lettering. We'll see.
    I really wanted to label the whole thing in kanji but I don't know enough to do that.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Umi No Toride [working] 01c_02[L].jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	78249

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast