Thread: Projection Change

Question Projection Change

Hey everyone!

I was wondering how you can change the projection of a map. What softwares are there to help with the process? Because Equirectangular isn't ideal for Plate Tectonics (I'm trying to develop a set of maps showing my world's continental drift in a time span of 500 million years).

There are a few pieces of software that can do projection switches. I use g.projector.

If you want to see your map in a globe, you might also want to learn how to project images on Google Earth or use the online maptoglobe tool.

Lastly, if you want to create a series of "continental drift steps", you are better of learning a bit about G.plates, and use it.

Whichever way you choose to go, I should warn you figuring out / imagining movements of a two dimensional surface on a sphere can be a tiring painful cerebral actvity

Blog Entries

i use mainly a USGS/JPL/NASA software ISIS3 ,but this is very specialized software

for general purpose remapping a GREAT tool is GDAL and the related software for it

a nice GUI for gdalwarp and for georeferancing is part of Qgis
    http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

but this is rather complex software

for things that do not NEED!!! to be almost 100% accurate a good "eyeballing" tool is
    MMPS
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/

fairly easy to use ,just read the help options in the terminal
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks everyone!