Thread: Map for the forth coming novel, Snakewood

Default Map for the forth coming novel, Snakewood

Over at Fantasy Faction, they have a cover reveal for the novel Snakewood, by Adrian Selby, and feature the map I created for it.

Here is the map it's self.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snakewood.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	4.82 MB 
ID:	77777

Guild Novice

This is really well-done. The background and compass are particularly nice and don't take away from the actual map which I think is nice.

I had a peek at your website, too. I'm impressed. Do you have an email subscription service for people to be alerted with new maps you make?

That title was on my radar and now, with the knowledge that it has an awesome map, even more so. Congrats on the commission, Tim and really nicely done. I think it has a very practical style for a novel map. Not too much detail and fiddly bits that make it almost unreadable in the printed book, but still full of feel and flavor, at least imho. Thumbs up!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I love it!
    A really simplified style yet so much character!
    Awesome.

If I had a single critique it would be that a few of the thicker lines (especially a few areas at the coast) seem slightly blocky/pixelated. I would have prefered a little less sharpness there.
    Aside from that little nitpick: Flawless!
    My portfolio and my FB Profile
    Currently open for paid commissions

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Clean and efficient job Tim. i concur with S. though, geographic elements and coastlines/waterlines are pixellated and a bit blurry while the labels are sharper.

When printed, it won't be noticeable, so not worried.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Nicely done. That's the way I wish more maps for books released by major publishers would be done.

That way, or pretty much any other cartographers' way on this forum. Going off on a tangent here, but I'm working in a warehouse of a major online retailer starting with the letter A ( ), which allows me to sneak a peek in many a fantasy novel, and 90% of the time I'm appalled at what I see there. And that's not meant as a slight against the artists, but more against the publishers! A major release by Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss or other big names guaranteed to become a best seller ought to come accompanied with maps that bring the setting to life and make you want to read the book from start to finish before you've started with the prologue. A map should entice the readers' appetite and imagination. Sadly, far too few publishers seem to think so. Maybe that's just a thing with the German localization? I don't know.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Brandon Sandersons latest series, the Stormlight Archive has maps and illustrations inside of it. In fact, he paid for them himself, because he wanted them in there, and didn't want to put the cost on the publisher.

Also, publishers often are more then willing to include maps. If the author requests one, they will work towards making that happen. Sometimes an author doesn't really have an idea of what the world looks like. I've worked on maps for books like that.

The one publisher I work a lot with, the AD always lets authors know, if you want a map, ask. If you want a particular map maker, ask for them, and they will try and get them.

That's why all my contracts or agreements say my name as to appear, as well as my website.