Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December 2015 Challenge: Hidroth Lea***

Wip ***November/December 2015 Challenge: Hidroth Lea***

Jax and I have teamed up together and he has asked me to create for him a city map. He's given me quite a bit of latitude as to the details. Well for some time now I've been meaning to create a map of Hidroth Lea, the home town of my PCs in a campaign I ran several years back. It was one of those projects just sitting on the back burner for years, so now Jax has given me a reason to get off my rear and actually create it. Here's a brief description of the town:

Hidroth Lea is a large town located along the King’s Highway within the mist-laden Downs of Edigroth. The town is both the political center of Hidroth County, and the center of one of only two archdiocese in the Northern Reaches. The town was founded three hundred years ago by King Thaladon, who appointed Count Aldon Hidroth as Lord of the realm. Aldon in turn appointed Trebeth Etheborne as the realm’s Baron Knight Protector. The Hidroths and the Ethebornes have shared leadership over the County ever since.

There is a tangible air of excitement, hope and expectation within Hidroth Lea. Located as it is in the center of the most important trade route in the north, the town has begun to become a destination point for many. New businesses spring up each year as more and more merchants and artisans from the southlands migrate north. This newly enriched cultural scene has helped to give the once rural town a “cosmopolitan” feel. Likewise, many adventurers pass through town on their way to the latest expedition. Quite a few moreover choose to settle within Hidroth Lea, given its close proximity to the treasure-filled Ruins of Ondur. In fact, due in part to recent historical events and in part to the able administration of the town’s last two Counts, Hidroth Lea has become the fastest growing town in the north.

I debated as to whether or not to do this map in a photo-realistic or a hand drawn style and decided to go with the former. One of these days I hope to write a town map tutorial for GIMP users and so I could use a bit more practice. Anyway here's what I've got done so far; not much more than an outline at this point (the image is at 1/2 res).

###Latest WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hidroth Lea WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	77930  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 12-03-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Huh. That's a really nice beginning. Beautiful job with the shaded green hills.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Really nice start Arsheesh.
    Really nice color and landforms. This should be interesting.

Wip

Thanks guys. OK here's a little update. I've added trees and castle walls and begun working on the layout of the castle.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Hidroth Lea WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	7.61 MB 
ID:	77940  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 12-05-2015 at 04:17 PM.

That's a nice update.
    The walls look great. The trees look good and the disbursement is great.
    This is going to be a tough one to compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is going to be a tough one to compete with.
    Funny I was just thinking the same of your entry

Very nice! If you do the town as you did the lands, it's gonna be hard to compete with, indeed.

This is looking gorgeous!! Fantastic start. I love the walls.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is really stunning work, arsheesh.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Wip

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We had my family up this weekend so I wasn't able to get much accomplished, but I did manage to finish Hidroth Keep. Now it is off to populate the map with dozens of little houses.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Hidroth Lea Caste WIP.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	78082  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast