Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Twin Empires

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default The Twin Empires

Here's something I've been working on here and there for the last month or two. It's not for any particular game, setting, or commission, just for fun. (To be honest, it's what distracted me from finishing my Annual Challenge map. ) I picture the land as a magic-fuelled Bronze Age setting, where the mighty inland sea has given rise to two competing empires, whose cultures are probably a Greek/Egyptian/Indian fusion. The Jezerene Theocracy is the 'holy peacekeeper' - the seat of the region's religion, while the Iron Cities were founded by colonists from one empire or the other who broke away and were reinforced by settlers from other lands beyond the deserts and mountains of the south. The Doshai Hordes are of course a Hun/Avar/Mongol type society. In the northern forests are primitive Celtic-like tribes.

Many, many thanks to Abu Lafia. Without his fantastic Customizable Banners, this map would be far poorer.

The mystic symbols are from Obsidian Dawn, and the little dudes on the title banner are from a Dark Souls 2 wallpaper I found online.

The fonts are Six Feet Under and Treasure Map Deadhand, both found on dafont.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheTwinEmpires.jpg 
Views:	1102 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	77952  

I like it a lot (big suprise, i know ). Screams RPG to me...again I normally like my maps with a bigger scale (more zoomed out, if you will, so that we see more of the world) but this regional map has real charm. I could very well see this as a regional map for a Hundred Kingdoms game in the world of Exalted, for example.

I don't think i can Rep. you yet, but i'll try.

And i hope you'll still finish your Annual Challenge map ...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Ooh, that's lovely. I like those mountains. The banners look great too, I'll have to check out Abu Lafia's post. Great work Diamond. Looks like my wand of repping is tapped at the moment though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice Diamond. I really like the coloring on this as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

A really great map Diamond, I like it a lot, the subtle details in the border are nice and the faces on the sides of the name are amazing! Great work!
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Great map! I love the title banner, forests & mountains. The sea is a bit too "deep blue" to my taste, but it contrasts nicely otherwise.
    Oh, and as always, I love the names!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thank you, guys. I appreciate it!

Incredible work! The banners and the shields on the side of the name are really good. Have you just made them from scratch or did you have some kind of inspiration for the shields? I agree with Ilanthar, the sea is too blue, but you know what, I think when a great map like this appear, the small minor things (like the too deep blue sea and maybe the somewhat boring "empty" mountains) are all that stands between excellent and perfect, so we just -have- to point it out!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilya Kudriashov's Avatar

Amazing map! May be I try to use some you ideas in future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast