Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carcerem (Regional Map WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean. Many of the settlements don't seem to mingle naturally with the terrain. I suppose that's the downside to working with two programs simultaneously (I did the city depictions primarily in Illustrator).
    Is it possible to take the line art from illustrator, eliminate the color in illustrator, and do the coloring in Photoshop , then add some shadows to have the cities (maybe even try just this first with what you have).

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Is it possible to take the line art from illustrator, eliminate the color in illustrator, and do the coloring in Photoshop , then add some shadows to have the cities (maybe even try just this first with what you have).
    That's pretty much what I did do.

Yeah, it's getting quickly difficult when you use different softwares. Perhaps you could add sort of a transition between lands and icons? Or a fading part?

Not sure how. I've already given most cities moats to embed them. I'll have to play around a bit...

Okay, my client will finally come around to provide the names and labels within the next 24-36 hours. But now I've got another problem: Which font(s) do I use? My problem, usually, is that I subconciously lean towards very elaborate fonts that tend to be too shiny to actually work out in the end. I've tried countering that, but then that tends to end in the completely opposite direction with blocky, technical fonts not really suited for fantasy themes.

So, open question for you other cartographers? Which font(s) and colors would you use in my stead?

You can't go wrong with a classic serif font, IMO. They're timeless and very readable, and the slightly distressed ones work really well with fantasy maps.

On the other hand, some people find them quite boring, but ah well!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    You can't go wrong with a classic serif font, IMO. They're timeless and very readable, and the slightly distressed ones work really well with fantasy maps.

On the other hand, some people find them quite boring, but ah well!
    Thanks, I think I've found a few useful ones.

Soooo... my client still has not provided any names, and I played around with some textures and changed the coloration and part of the designs of the northern kingdom's locations. Hopefully I'll have the labels by the end of the week, though... *grumble*

Preview at 60% size and lower quality resolution due to the file size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carcerem Preview.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	81019

Really nice job Wired. Looks beautiful, love your forests and the different, yet complimentary, types. The Clouds sitting in the mountain valleys are really a nice touch, as is the green coloring up the rivers. (I've been doing that on mine lately as well.)

For the most part the City Icons sit really nicely into the landscape, maybe accentuate the shadows on the ground more to tie them into the setting. Wish there was a little more variety though.

Not quite sure of the shadows/highlights on the mountains a little muddy at the peak sometimes - not a clear delineation.

This is one of my recent favorites, really nice job. Have some reps, if I can

Nice! I like it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast