Thread: WIP-My Second Map the Arcane School

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice Start, but what's the scale? Based on the steps and the tiles, I would say the hallways would be around 8-10 foot wide. One possibility is to wall off the hallways to make dormitories(very small... if 10 foot hallways, perhaps 10 x 5 rooms with bunkbeds and that leaves 5 foot hallways). However, given that scale, your libraries might be a tad small (perhaps on purpose???) unless they span multiple levels with no ceiling.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

actually the hallways are 10 feet, and a library isn't really a large space, in proper midevil terms. But yes, as for a fantasy game, I probably will have another library on the second floor. The room is about 30 by 15 feet for the two rooms that make up the library, so that's actually a pretty good amount of books. The school isn't extremely large either, its not self-sustaining. They do require services from the near by village.
    As for the dormitories, they are actually going to be a seperate building currently I'm just making the buildings then I will make the school grounds. The 2nd floor will be where the class rooms and dining area will be. I'm thinking of making the dining area the central mass for the 2nd floor and some way to reach the "roof" of the 2nd floor which will allow people to gain access to the tower. (minus the area for the tower.
    However I could double the size of the map and adjust the grid size as well. I've made a list of things the 2nd floor will have.

dining area
    alchemy lab/class
    enchanting lab/class
    mundane arts class (math, reading, writing, etc)
    study room (a place to study and practice the arts)
    ritual class (a class for ritual magic)
    worship area (to the god of magic).
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-26-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Very nice floor. This is going to look great though I think it will be tough to fill it all up.

If you look here :-
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2462

at post #31 there is the 1st floor to my pub and there is a nice bench of magi kit which you can steal. Its also in my Feb Challenge entry which might be higher res I don't know.

thank you I like that, I'm thinking of doing a similar thing with the second floor, leaving an open space so I can have the bad guys be able to attack the players when they go to the center. How did you make the effect if you don't mind me asking, was it just a jpg image set below the layer and then blured????

ok I have a banner that I plan on using however, I need to scale it down. Is there anyway to scale it down without losing majority of the detail??? I'm using gimp btw.

OK so I'm almost done with the 1st floor, I just need to add in some lights on the walls, I'll probably do that in maptools. Next is the 2nd floor of the map and I will fill in the tower in the center on all three maps last.

Uberleet

PS: I did get lazy on the last table plz forgive me, I'll fix it before I put the finishing touches on. Btw is there another site to use to post the maps because this is not cuttin' it. Its not fullsized :0(.
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-28-2008 at 12:44 AM.

OK so I'm pretty much done, just a few statues and stuff, and maybe some sleep. My brain feels like play dough. I'll post the ss tommorrow, hope you guys like, after all this is my 1st map.