Thread: Meteor mining colony

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As far as a tut goes, it's the same stuff I always do but with browns and ambers instead of greens for the land and mountains. That tut is in the tut section called something like "making a continent in photoshop". There are 3 mountain layers so that's a lil different, but the overall 3d feel comes from just applying a black and amber bevel and some brown inner glow to the main land layer with some extra black airbrushing for shadowing the underneath. I made up a scrambly texture to overlay the whole thing and there's no way I could ever reproduce that since I was wearing my mad scientist hat (notice that there appears to be some greenish tree-like stuff in the lower parts).

I should probably find me a tut for making a better planet (again my usual method but when done I flattened all the layers there and used the distort > spherize filter to give it some roundness) but I wanted it to be more muted so that it doesn't attract too much focus away from the asteroid, the original was much nicer before I grayed it up. The starfield is pretty easy. Black layer, render noise (20%), enlarge 400%, copy the layer and set to multiply, copy again and set to vivid light, then put a very colorful pattern overlay on to make some stars red or blue or green etc. The dust cloud is just airbrushing.

Ya know, after all of this explaining...maybe I will put this in a tut Ok, off to write it up now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is truly a unique idea. I love the result.