Thread: Working on a Spanish Mission for publication

Default Working on a Spanish Mission for publication

So about a year ago, I came up with a setting idea for a Pathfinder RPG version of a Gothic horror crossed with the Old West called Gothic Western - Cthulhu styled horror. I got a young game designer from Britain to contribute ideas, and a college professor, Jonathan Newell interested in publishing his horror writing. We came up with a number of adventure module ideas with the intention of releasing the setting guide, with rules, new class archetypes, one full 1st level adventure and a couple one shot modules as a single product.

Jonathan Newell came up with an ideal 1st level adventure that is very much Old West in flavor with a unique twist. The adventure is called Unclean Brand. It begins with a cattle rustling incident where some rich rancher is hiring a band of adventurers to recover his cattle (with a bonus for the scalps of every rustler involved). In reality the cattle rustlers were hired by an evil organization trying to set up events leading to doomsday for the world. The organization is called the Order of Oblivion. The cattle have been branded with powerful and evil magical sigils that will transform the cattle over time into monstrous beings barely resembling their cattle origins. Some grow insect or crustacean legs, fanged maws, mutated growths and more. At complete transformation these altered kine will be set free to roam the Great Basin region to attack anyone and causing havoc to traveling there.

I need to create several maps, though the author only asked for a regional map to follow the trail from the ranch to a Spanish Mission where the Order of Oblivion is hiding out, and the Spanish Mission itself.

The Spanish Mission is designed to resemble many mission sites, like the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. I will be creating all the interior spaces instead of being roofed buildings.

This is the author's rough draft (pretty good draft too) of the Spanish Mission map... (I'll be doing this in my photo-realistic style).

I will begin to tackle this today.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mission San Drogo.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	86870

Though the author only asked for the two maps, I am the cartographer and the publisher, so I plan to create the maps for the dozen-ish locations on the trail on the way to the mission. Most publications feature only a couple maps (that's all most publishers can afford), but I'm the cartographer and publisher so you can bet my products will be chock full of maps.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Awesome looking forward to seeing this series, it's a pretty neat genre Gothic Western and would fit your style well. Good luck

I still have more to do, but the bulk of this is done. I have some gun racks, stoves, larder tables, dining tables, forges and looms to create to populate the various structures. While I do have some of these already created as existing map objects, most of these involve volumes of blood, gore, green light from the forge and other otherworldly features. The main courtyard will be overgrown with cholla cactus, as well. I'll eventually stick in a square grid and labels, but will include versions without both.

This map is not to scale, even though I'm creating it at encounter scale (1 inch = 5 feet), and at that scale this map measures 56 x 80 inches (real big).

GP

Name:	mission-almost.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.29 MB 
ID:	86889
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-23-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the completed map, everything except labels and grid, which I will include. Most of the time was taken 3D modeling and rendering, prepping and texturing the cholla cactus patches.

GP

Name:	mission-done-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	5.97 MB 
ID:	86898
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the square gridded version with labels, with grids at 1 inch = 5 feet, so the true map is 56 inches x 80 inches.

A. Artillery command post
    B. Main gate
    C. Sally port
    D. Light infantry barracks
    E. Officer Quarters
    E1. Bartholomew's Room
    E2. Brother Ambrosius' Room
    E3. Dr. Heap's Room
    F. Armory
    G. Plaza
    H. Cattle Pens
    I. Horse Pens
    J. Catalan Forges
    K. Carpenteria
    L. Granary
    M. Olive Mill
    N. Wool Weavers Shop
    O. Pantry
    P. Kitchen
    Q. Refectory
    R. Store Rooms
    S. Bodega
    T. Hospital
    U. Laboratory
    V. Jail
    W. (not shown) Garden (have to add - just facing the church building "y").
    X. Cemetery
    Y. Chapel
    Y1. Bell Tower
    Y2. Baptistry
    Y3. Sacristy
    Y4. Altar
    Y5. Nave
    Y6. Transept
    Y7. Apse

GP

Name:	mission-done-grid.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	6.09 MB 
ID:	86906
    DrivethruRPG store

Perfect !
    Very successful.

Thank you very much !!