Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: *** January 2016 Challenge: Re-map a Pulp World ***

Banned User

Can't help what people said earlier in the thread, and I guess Diamond would be the ultimate authority on this, but "pulp" is anything published during the early 1900's on cheap paper.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Well, you're certainly safe! Barsoom was mentioned in the initial post that started it all! ;-)
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Can't help what people said earlier in the thread, and I guess Diamond would be the ultimate authority on this, but "pulp" is anything published during the early 1900's on cheap paper.
    Yeah, there's the technically correct definition of 'pulp' and then there's its common usage, where people tend to associate it with a certain type of story. I believe it's that sense of the word that Diamond was referring to, although it would be really interesting to see some interpretations that stretched the challenge parameters a little. Either way, I'm glad more people are getting involved and looking forward to seeing the results.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Unfortunately, I don't know Anything at all about pulps, having never read any. But, I do know that the Indiana Jones series of movies is based on old 1930s serialized movies, which in a sense were the pulp fiction magazines of film. Would it be OK if I tried to make a map of Indiana Jones' adventures? Or do you think that is stretching the concept of pulp too far?

Quote Originally Posted by timallen View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know Anything at all about pulps, having never read any. But, I do know that the Indiana Jones series of movies is based on old 1930s serialized movies, which in a sense were the pulp fiction magazines of film. Would it be OK if I tried to make a map of Indiana Jones' adventures? Or do you think that is stretching the concept of pulp too far?
    I think that would be quite cool, and I personally don't think it would be wrong.
    Diamond actually said earlier that Indiana Jones fits the mold perfectly... in spirit.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I guess I didn't think out the parameters of this too well before I dived in! Again, it's ultimately up to the voters to decide what they think fits the definition when they vote. There is stuff that I would consider 'pulp' that someone else might not, and vice versa. I put those examples in my initial post as just that, examples. If you think your idea is similar in spirit, even if the genre is different, then by all means go ahead and post it.

Wow, it seems like overnight this challenge exploded with awesome entries! This is going to be a tough challenge to adjudicate given the quality of all of the entries.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just a reminder, there is just over a day remaining to get your entries done. Good luck to everyone; this is going to be a very difficult one to vote on...

So many awesome entries. This will be a very hard vote! I have (silently) enjoyed watched the process of all seven entries

Great work everyone!

Cheers,

Tainotim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345