Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before and After - Encouragement Thread Idea

Default Before and After - Encouragement Thread Idea

Do you think that the more experienced cartographers here should maybe have a thread where we post a map or two from where we started and a map or two of where we are at right now?

I am wondering if it would be good encouragement or inspiration for new users to know that - yes - some of us did start off with incredibly basic maps too - and you too can become this good with a bit of perseverance.

I've seen it done on some art websites and it might make the whole thing a little less intimidating to new users. I even still have most of my really old efforts on a drive somewhere.

One excercise I have tried to encourage multiple times is to remake an old map just to gauge your progress. I have done this several times myself and have always found it satisfying.

What do you all think?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I think it would be cool and insightful for people in the earlier stages.
    I was just thinking about trying to redo an older map, as I think I can do a much better job now.

That's a neat idea. I'm for it Ironically, I was just looking at an early hand drawn version of Hidroth Lea I did back in 2006 and comparing it to the one I just completed and marveling at how things have changed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm up for this, totally!

I love this idea I've been feeling a little overwhelmed, so I think that would be an amazing inspiration to see the progress from all of you

Excellent idea, Larb! I'd love this to happen too. It's my one year anniversary (more or less) since I started map-making, so maybe I should redo my first map and see if I can do it better. Should make it an annual tradition!

Do any of you old hands cringe at your earlier work, or are you simply happy to see the progress you've made (or a bit of both?)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This would be awesome! I have been eager to remake my first map here at the guild for some time now

(edit) This was my first map. I can definetly see a lot of my current maps in this rough work.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the gold coast fs.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	79066
    Last edited by tainotim; 01-13-2016 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Adding my first map to join the flow

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Do any of you old hands cringe at your earlier work, or are you simply happy to see the progress you've made (or a bit of both?)
    I cringe a little but I am so glad how much I've improved. For example here is my first ever city map (which I need to remake, by the way!)

On a side note I genuinely miss Paint Shop Pro 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lilinoth-verosmap.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	79061  
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I don't so much cringe as I am amazed how much I've learned and how much I just didn't know.
    I could draw but I just had so much trouble trying to work out how to do things to make them look right.
    And getting used to working digitally was difficult.

This map was in my second post here.
    I later did a color version that was nice but I still didn't understand many things that I now know.

Name:	Shrivenshire 00 [Uncolored] lo.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	79065

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Ooh this is fun! I dug up a few oldies a while back. They're from when I first started drawing maps for a D&D campaign I ran.
    I don't so much cringe as I am amazed how much I've learned and how much I just didn't know.
    This sums it up perfectly. I wonder how I'll feel about my current work ten years from now.

Name:	oldies.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	8.82 MB 
ID:	79067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast