Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Avearia - Looking for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanx for the tip. I find that if I spend too much time composing a message when I hit submit it makes me refresh and login again, it's happening allot, and I'm finding I have to re type allot of my messages... Any advice on this.
    I used to have that problem a lot.
    The only thing I can think of that may have solved that was when I let Firefox remember my password for the Guild so that I wasn't logging in each visit.
    I hate to do that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it's easier to forget your passwords. That's really the only thing I recall that dealt with it.
    I know, it was a serious pain when that would happen to me.

Guild Expert

I've started experimenting with a small mountain chain at the bottom right hand corner, and am feeling really frustrated by it.

I outlined the peaks, and began sketching in some sort of a plan so I can hopefully wrap my head around how I'm going to add volume to the mountains, just as sort of a guide line for when I start painting them. I started to try to add ridges to some of them, and I'm feeling confused as to how to make it look right.

I've never succeeded at painting mountains before, so I thought if I sketched up a rough plan first I might have better luck, but I'm only feeling more doubtful as to weather I can pull it off.

If any one has any ideas as to how I should proceed, or constructive criticism that would be really helpful, keeping in mind that what I have done so far is only in the experimental faze, and I'm just trying to workout where to place light and shadow for when I start painting it in with colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avearia WIP mountain start.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	6.59 MB 
ID:	79289

First of all that looks great, but if you are interested in how to combine your mountains in a chain look at this thread where a lot of it is explained: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=28985
    Also fantastic maps has a lot of neat tutorials: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/01...ountain-range/

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Not much feedback here, just wanted to say that I love what you have so far. There is something refreshing about your style, and I'm eager to see how this will turn out in the end

Also, unless you mind me asking, what paper texture are you using? Something of your own or something free? Incase its free I would love to have a link to it (if you don't mind). I really like it.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thank you for the nice compliment. I got the texture from deviantart years ago, and I myself wish I had a copy of it so I could fix some resolution problems I ran into when I scaled up this map to work on it bigger.

It will take me some time the scour the internet, and find it again, but I do plan on doing that, I'm just really strapped for time right now. I need to find it, not only to let you guys know what I'm using, but also to give credit where credit is due.

As soon as I find it I will definitely post a link.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I've never succeeded at painting mountains before, so I thought if I sketched up a rough plan first I might have better luck, but I'm only feeling more doubtful as to weather I can pull it off.

If any one has any ideas as to how I should proceed, or constructive criticism that would be really helpful, keeping in mind that what I have done so far is only in the experimental faze, and I'm just trying to workout where to place light and shadow for when I start painting it in with colour.
    As I already said, I have more than an idea. I have a tutorial and it is really simple to understand and execute.
    So instead of writing a long post, I invite you to just click on the link in my signature below and follow the process.
    Basically the most important and essential thing to understand about mountain ranges is that the main ridge line is everything.
    You always START with the ridge line ... but all that is explained in the tutorial.

And after that you'll just produce a Professional mountain range in 30 minutes

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    First of all that looks great, but if you are interested in how to combine your mountains in a chain look at this thread where a lot of it is explained: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=28985
    Also fantastic maps has a lot of neat tutorials: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/01...ountain-range/

Cheers,
    Barek
    Thanks Bark, I'll definitely go check out that link if I manage to get some time today. I've seen fantastic maps before, some good stuff there.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    As I already said, I have more than an idea. I have a tutorial and it is really simple to understand and execute.
    So instead of writing a long post, I invite you to just click on the link in my signature below and follow the process.
    Basically the most important and essential thing to understand about mountain ranges is that the main ridge line is everything.
    You always START with the ridge line ... but all that is explained in the tutorial.

And after that you'll just produce a Professional mountain range in 30 minutes
    You're mountains look great, I might try that style if I ever get around to starting another map, I've recently seen a tutorial with similar attached mountain range style on fantasticmaps, and I really like it, but for this map I kind of wanted to do a style similar to some of the old world hand drawn maps I've seen where the ranges are made of individual mountains instead of having them all connected. I also like some of the mountains I see in max's maps where there's a line down the middle of each one, but I can't seem to get mine to look anything like his.

I can't believe you could do those mountains in half an hour, that's amazing, you're very talented.

Hehe I think that 30 minute estimate is .... optimistic, too!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Quick update... Added some more mountain outlines. I was wondering if any one has any thoughts on size, and placement. I'll be working on adding More outlines but I think I might experiment with painting some of these ones first to see if they work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avearia WIP started mountains.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	6.61 MB 
ID:	79332

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Now see, I really like those mountains! Even just as outlines, they work. Also, I think I forgot to mention that I like what you did with the free-hand coastal rings. Nice.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast