Thread: WIP for an inland island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Clee Hill, welcome

Your map looks interesting. I can't read the scale properly though. How wide is it?

I find that naming things really only takes off after you have defined the history and size of a region.

Was your island made or naturally occurring?

If it was made, was the unbroken ring of water a protection, a pleasure, a dare, or a containment. Was it made by raising an island in the middle of a lake or raising a ring of land around an existing island?

Sigurd

Guild Novice

Post Addendum - 1

Hi All.

Thanks for your thoughts, etc., and here are a few answers.

Setting: as the stories will be fantasy based, the manner of the creation of the island is open at the moment, though with a tendency towards being a natural creation though perhaps with hints of magical 'tinkering'

Naming: this is tied to the story and, being an amateur Classicist, there should be plenty of scope for 'appropriating' Greek terminology. Thus far the island in the middle is Belenus, and the outer ring island will be Moritasgus. Various Apollonian placenames will be added later

Scale: ah now the fun begins. The map is intended to be an interpretation rather than an Ordnance Survey, so scale is a somewhat plastic term in this regard. Currently - and having re-made the scale marker at the bottom of the map - the island is approx. 235 leagues E-W and 185 leagues N-W, with the interior island being 90 by 52

Rivers: this is where I run into a problem in that I don't want too many rivers, but need some leading both to the surrounding sea and also into the interior lake/sea/whatever. I've had a look at Bananal Island, but can't seem to see much there to help in this regard. So, without going anal on the geography, where could I get some better ideas about river distribution beyond the fact that they come down from the mountains?

TIA...CH