Thread: Umi No Toride [Larb's commission for Commission a Guilder challenge]

Map Umi No Toride [Larb's commission for Commission a Guilder challenge]

This was my entry for the 2015 'Commission a Guilder' regular challenge.
    I really enjoy this challenge and hope to do it again this year, whenever it comes up again.
    It was great working with Larb on this and I was thrilled with what Larb did for my request.
    The WIP thread can be seen here. As always this was good fun and a great learning experience.
    That's probably my favorite thing about the challenges is how they push you to try new things and improve your style and skills.

This was my first go with an Asian inspired structure and map so that was good. I've meant to do that for a while.
    Thanks to all those who commented on the WIP and repped it. Just putting it here in finished maps.
    Thanks Guild, glad you're here to offer these challenges and community.
    And glad to be a part of it. Cheers, J.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umi No Toride [M1] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	79252

So dynamic! I would have automatically placed the plan view and elevation view independently. But the way you merged them together is slick.

This is a gorgeous piece. And I agree with Vhey, you've combined the two views in a very unified and dynamic way. I'm taking notes

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It's to bad that I was so busy at the end of last year for the time of this challenge, I would have loved to be a part of that challenge. Your map simply blew me away. I love the style, the layout, and the detail is incredible. The little things like the roof tiles and the fact that you can see foundations through the water and even the clouds in the background are all so well done. I wish I could rep it again at this time... Hopefully I can rep your next map.

Absolutely fantastic work (I think I've said that already, but no matter.) I'm glad you managed to finish within the challenge deadline too!

You deserved the win for this map, even though there were so many other excellent entries in the challenge. This map is outstanding.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I also said it already but nevermind, this an amazing piece of art. I love your work and saying that this is maybe the best one yet you did in its genre I think says a lot
    Please continue inspiring the rest of us with your work.

Also, on the side note, to me the finished work looks like it was pulled out of a fantasy calendar of some sort

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Such a great map! Transparency of the water and algae... you've outdone yourself on this one. The layout & transition is indeed one of the best feature on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhey View Post
    So dynamic! I would have automatically placed the plan view and elevation view independently. But the way you merged them together is slick.
    Thanks Vhey. It all started with Bourmout and a wip thread, my first actually.
    A testament to how a wip can bring out results that you might not have thought of.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is a gorgeous piece. And I agree with Vhey, you've combined the two views in a very unified and dynamic way. I'm taking notes

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    It's to bad that I was so busy at the end of last year for the time of this challenge, I would have loved to be a part of that challenge. Your map simply blew me away. I love the style, the layout, and the detail is incredible. The little things like the roof tiles and the fact that you can see foundations through the water and even the clouds in the background are all so well done. I wish I could rep it again at this time... Hopefully I can rep your next map.
    Thanks Domino, and no worries. The comment is worth more to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Absolutely fantastic work (I think I've said that already, but no matter.) I'm glad you managed to finish within the challenge deadline too!

You deserved the win for this map, even though there were so many other excellent entries in the challenge. This map is outstanding.
    Thanks ChickPea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    I also said it already but nevermind, this an amazing piece of art. I love your work and saying that this is maybe the best one yet you did in its genre I think says a lot
    Please continue inspiring the rest of us with your work.

Also, on the side note, to me the finished work looks like it was pulled out of a fantasy calendar of some sort

Cheers,
    Barek
    Thanks Barek. Yeah, the vertical kanji made me think the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Such a great map! Transparency of the water and algae... you've outdone yourself on this one. The layout & transition is indeed one of the best feature on this one.
    Thanks Ilanthar. The water thing is something I've actively been trying to work on since doing Oasis Suruq last year.