Thread: [WIP] First Map Using Photoshop/Tablet

Default [WIP] First Map Using Photoshop/Tablet

Hi all,
    Been lurking for a while and dabbling in maps with gimp for a while. I got my first tablet (Surface Pro 3 i7) and figured I'd start mapping on it for fun. I've also never used photoshop since a week ago.

Here is a preview of my current map. Let me know what you think of the icons? It is my first time making icons other than circles, dots and squares.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map001.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	79322  

Banned User

They are recognizable and in the end that's what counts the most

I might suggest that for something to be viewed very small, you use less shading. Too much and they look like dark blobs.

I think this map will look really nice when you get it all sorted out

There are some really good tutorials here on the guild that help you learn photoshop techniques you may want to do a few, I never used photoshop much till I started a little over a year ago and it helped tremendously

I know it's more work, but I almost feel like if you're going to do icons in place of simple circle/square indicators you might as well go the extra mile and make each one unique. It'll make each place more interesting. Just looking at the map you'd have an advantage in making the reader curious about certain places.

Did some shading, redid the mountains, added national borders and names. I really like the ability to dynamically adjust the "glow" behind letters in photoshop. It's such an improvement over gimp's interface.
    I'm working on re doing the symbols for cities, towns etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map001.2.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	1,008.6 KB 
ID:	79466