Thread: Khagremor world

Guild Artisan

Default Khagremor world

Over the past 3 months I have been working on and off on a commission for a world map for an RPG Campaign. It is finished at last so fit to be posted here.

Khagremor is the native planet of Dwarves.
    It is a very wild island planet and there are no traces of civilisation (roads, towns, harbors etc) above ground because the Dwarven nations live Under the mountains.
    The planet has several mighty Mountain ranges and each range shelters a different Dwarven kingdom.
    The cultures and civilisation are different - from the craggy Ice Dwarves living Under the mightiest range on the northern Island to the Greenbeards living under the equatorial range.

The style had to be realistic on a planetary scale . The different underground kingdoms are represented separately on a classical 2D map. Climates, biomes, distances and relief had to be explicitely accounted for. Rivers had to take source on areas with highest precipitation. There are underground connections between the islands because the Dwarves digging for metal finished by going Under the shallow seas between islands too.
    The planet Khagremor is larger than the Earth (diameter 16 000 km) and it has a vast metallic core which has 2 consequences.
    First is that there is abundance of different metal ore which the Dwarves mine and work.
    Second is a high gravity wich explains the small and sturdy size with very thick bones of the Dwarven races. The life forms on the surface are adapted to the high gravity and stormy climate.
    The atmosphere is Earthlike but as the opposite side of the planet is covered by a single great ocean, there are many cloud formations, heavy précipitations and the islands are sometimes visited by monstrous storms what also explains why the Dwarves feel much more safer underground.
    The islands being concentrated on one half of the planet, the time difference between the east and west is approximately a half a day - when the sun rises over the western island, it sets over the eastern island.

Special mention goes to Waldronate who had the incredible patience to spend with me several weeks a year ago or so and who explained to me the finest and most complex features of Wilbur.

This map is an overall projection of Khagremor on a sphere and in the original work it could be rotated around the world axis. It has been done with Wilbur, Gimp and pencils.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khagremor.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	79346

THis looks really really fine Congrats!
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Banned User

Wow!! That is gorgeous!! Rated and rep'd!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Nice work Deadshade. Looks great!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Wow!! That is gorgeous!! Rated and rep'd!
    Thanks Chick but I horribly sinned. At least apparently .
    You have surely noticed that the 2 big lakes have no outlets. But you may sleep well - there is an explanation

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Thanks Chick but I horribly sinned. At least apparently .
    You have surely noticed that the 2 big lakes have no outlets. But you may sleep well - there is an explanation
    No point in preaching to the choir I already know you know ....

Guild Artisan

Thanks for all the reps and the kind words.
    It is really appreciated and encourages one to try to do still better.

Great concept.